Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I purchased my 2016 Malibu LT today. I really like the car. I've had two other Malibus in the past; a 1998 base, and a 2013 2LT.

I have 3 questions:

1. It only came with one key/fob; does anyone know the appx cost to get a second one from the dealer?
2. I've noticed, almost every time I start the car, the wipers make one sweep across the windshield; is this normal? (yes, they are off)
3. Is the white section of the (outer) taillights decorative? (I've noticed the directionals use the lower (red) portion of the taillight).

The photos are from the dealer where I got it. They are from earlier in 2021, hence the full foliage on the trees. It's too cold and dark out there to take my own right now.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,042 Posts
Welcome to CMF!

I'm sure one of our members who can answer you will be along. I hope you get many happy miles from your new ride.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,665 Posts
1) from the dealer, roughly $200 last I heard but I can't speak for 2022 pricing.
2) not normal. Could be many causes but my first suspect would be battery. If original, replace it as maintenance.
3) Id need a closer pic to see what you mean. If it is what I think I see, no.

Reactions: wmack

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, @campb292.

Besides the battery, I'm guessing the wipers' behavior may also be some sort of electrical problem.

This section of the tail light, as outlined in the photo.

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,042 Posts
If you're not afraid of some wiring and light bulb modifications, you could possibly convert that white light into an amber turn signal.

I did that to my 2011 LTZ. The backup lights were replaced with an LED bar mounted above the license plate that's way brighter than the stock bulbs, which left me the opportunity to convert them to amber turn signals. (Yes, those are amber, and they're LEDs as well.)

My brake lights no longer flash. They're just simply red brake lights. When I use the turn signal, it's one of those that flashes.

Atmosphere Daytime Automotive lighting Amber Light

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After owning/driving my new 'Bu for almost a week, I have to say what a great car. It's smooth, quiet, and has a nice comfortable ride. I like the layout/simplicity of all the controls.

Some things I've done so far:

-replaced key fob battery
-reattached glove box damper arm
-purchased new GM factory floor mats (they were missing)

·
Registered
2015 Chevrolet Malibu LT 1LT, 2.5L DOHC Ecotec, 6-speed Auto
46 Posts
A couple things, going forward. Make sure to keep your oil changes done, preferably by a local GM dealership. The turbo engines are extremely sensitive to the type of oil used in the engine, and using incorrect oils that are not GM Dexos approved can lead to a cracked piston, usually in cylinder #2, and usually just after the factory warranty has expired.

As far as oil changes go, I wouldn't recommend waiting until the oil life monitor tells you to change the oil. Changing it when you are around 20% oil life remaining would be better than waiting for the monitor to tell you the oil needs changed. This should be around 7,500 miles, as my oil life monitor is around 35% when I do my OCIs at 5,000 miles in my 2015 Malibu, with the NA-2.5L engine.

You can double check your maintenance schedule, inside your owner's manual, if you are not sure. It should list OCIs every 7,500 miles, with a tire rotation.

Transmission fluid: You do not have a dipstick to check the fluid level or the condition of the fluid. Your normal maintenance schedule will likely not have a service interval for the fluid change, and you'll have to use the severe service schedule. The service interval should be around 45,000 miles.

Once again, it is highly recommended to allow your GM dealership to handle this service. I haven't watched the specific service, but I believe it is a fluid exchange or a flush. There is no filter to replace. The internal filter, on these transmissions is a "life of the transmission" component, that never needs changed, unless you tear the transmission down and have it rebuilt.

So, if any shop tells you you need to replace the filter, on this transmission, go to another shop ASAP.

Spark plugs are every 60k miles, I think. Double check your maintenance schedule, and try to only use OEM, ACDelco plugs with your engine. It is not that aftermarket plugs are necessarily bad, but the are not engineered form your specific engine application. They are merely designed to fit and be used in your engine..

Coolant flushes: I think you can go up to 150,000 miles on the stock Dex-Cool. I wouldn't recommend that, because as Dex-Cool ages, it becomes corrosive. Double check your maintenance schedule or with your GM dealer, when it is optimal to flush the coming system out. This will help to extend the life of your water pump.

These cars are not like older cars, where you could get away with saving a few bucks by going to any old Jiffy Lube for oil changes, any 3rd party shop for repairs, and using aftermarket parts over OE.

You can still do those things, but what you save instantly on costs, will cost you more down the road with a breakdown or other problems.

Keeping up with your maintenance, from a reputable GM dealership is a great way to ensure you get the most out of your investment, and you enjoy the internship of your car for many years and miles down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts