Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this forum and I am considering purchasing a new 2009 Malibu. I am on somewhat of a budget and have done some calculations and came to the conclusion that I can only afford the 4 cylinder models, the LT model. My question is: is the 4-cylinder model a good choice? I realize the V6 version is much more powerful, but with the 4 cylinder version, does it have adequate power? I am just trying to get some input from some of you that own a 4-cylinder model. Any input would be a great help. I plan on purchasing this new car within the next (2) months.

I currently own a 2008 HHR and I really dislike it!!!!! It has been back to the deal for repairs at least 11 times in the last (6) months!!!

Thank you,

Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 1LT 4 cyl 6 speed auto and i think it has plenty of zip. I do mostly highway driving and i get right up to speed with out a problem. Plus you will love the great MPG's.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have the V6 but as I've heard MANY people say (in addition to chief)... the I4 has adequate power. It'll definitely get you from point A to B with no problems at all.

Welcome to the forum and the Malibu family!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the 4 cylinder model with the 4 speed automatic. The power is adequate. It's certainly safe enough for passing and merging, but won't punch you back in the seat. I think I read that 0-60 is about 9 seconds. Let us know if you get the 'bu!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Make sure when passing ona two lane road that you have plenty of space. The kick down is not quick or that powerful. At times, I have dropped it into 4th gear to get maximum passing power in the higher rpm range then it really scoots. I'm always conscious of the weak 5th and 6th gears when on the highway and never attempt anything that requires immediate burst of speed

However, as others have said, it is adequate. You just have to learn the limits of the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the 1LT 4cyl. w/six speed. Plenty of power! Great car!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pintoracer, I'm new to the forum as well. I just got an '08 ltz leftover a couple of weeks ago. It's got the 2.4L 6 spd. For everday driving it has plenty of power, but I agree that for faster maneuvering, drop it into manual mode and downshift it yourself to avoid the transmission tendency toward fuel economy. With the rpm's up it really scoots. Good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
check this out some dealers are topping off your gm card without gettin the letter. I havde no idea how they are figuring it out. Some dealers are giving conquest 1000.00. and if you belong to a credit union you get gm supplier discount. You have to register at the gm site to get the price and i think an authorization number to take to the dealer. this along with the 2750 rebate and or 0% interest. might be an excellent time to buy one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.