Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 09 LTZ last week and have under 200 miles when the front brakes started making grinding noises but only intermittently. I took it back to the Dealer today and they were really surprised at how bad it was after a test drive. The tech took booth front pads off and everything looked ok and no rotor groves. They found a new TSB that just came out May 1,2009. that described the issue. It will not make a noise on initial start up but as the brakes get hot as in stop and go driving they get worse. This is exactly what my problem was. The TSB says to put on new front brake pads and not turn the rotors. We compared the new pads to the old ones and there is quite a difference. They are now replaced and so far so good!:) Just wanted to give everybody a heads up on this problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
thanks, i just noticed this on mine the other day actually!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Want to be best friends?

LMAO I'm random

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have an appointment with the dealer to replace the pads in my car this week. My problem is not grinding but squeaking noise, it looks like an issue with a lot of malibu's according to my dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info. I first drove our new Malibu Sunday and noticed, and it is still doing it today ... 350 miles. I'll be calling the dealership in the morning.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got a similar issue as well. No brake noise at startup and then after the brakes warm up, grinding noise from the front pads.

As long as its not a safety issue, I will wait to see if my engine shudder problem resolves itself before brining the car in to have a laundry list of warranty issues fixed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My new one has just under 1400 miles on it (in one week!) and I just started noticing a problem with the brakes. Once warmed up a bit, I get an almost "anti-lock brakes in action" kind of shudder as a slow to a stop, right as I pass from 10 to 5 miles per hour.

Wonder if it'll be covered by that TSB?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just posted to the "squeaking break" thread, what we are hearing is I think more like what is described in this thread, a sort of "grinding" noise although I don't see anything with the discs... only occasionally, and it does seem to happen when the car is warmed up a bit. Thanks for the TSB post.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone know the TSB #? I just picked up my 09 Malibu and have about 500 miles on it and yesterday after a fair amount of stop and go city traffic I started to hear a grinding sound that seems to be coming from the front passenger side. I like to go to the dealer with as much info as I can, and if I can cite to them the exact TSB # it may help out. Otherwise I'll have to drive the car around and try and get it to pop back up. So far today it hasn't done it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does anyone know the TSB #? I just picked up my 09 Malibu and have about 500 miles on it and yesterday after a fair amount of stop and go city traffic I started to hear a grinding sound that seems to be coming from the front passenger side. I like to go to the dealer with as much info as I can, and if I can cite to them the exact TSB # it may help out. Otherwise I'll have to drive the car around and try and get it to pop back up. So far today it hasn't done it.

I took my Malibu in earlier this week for the same brake noise issue. GM inspected and replaced the front pads, no questions asked. My invoice notes referenced PIC5152C.

This isn't an isolated problem since there is a TSB out on it. Just take your car into the dealer and tell them you are hearing a bunch of brake noise when the pads are hot. If possible, just let service do their job the first time. My buddy is an ASE Certified mechanic for Lexus and they absolutely hate it when people bring in information from forums.

If service tries to tell you that your crazy and it's just rust from sitting on the lot, call your salesperson or salesmanager and this problem is affecting how satisfied your are with the dealer and will be reflected when you fill out your CSI survey. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks. I took it in and had the issue crop up on the way there and took the brake guy out for a ride and heard it and saw a TSB. Got the pads replaced. So far, so good.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I heard the same noises from my BU. Now that it has 2,300 miles I either A - don't notice it or B - it has gone away. I will need to pay attention tomorrow when I am in traffic. I drive 150 miles to and fro but I would only hear noise when I got into the city and started hitting Lights. Will keep an ear out again and see if I need to get those pads replaced. Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Pads alone should not cause this issue and I believe pads are a coverup of real issue such as sticking calipers or possibly master cylinder or even ABS issues.
I searched for brake issues because of something I experienced.
I had to do some hard braking and felt the brakes were not adequate although it was just short of activating ABS I'd bet.
In one of my other posts I wrote about the tires because of concerns of them having broke loose sideways and subsequently testing tires for straight line by braking to the point of ABS activation. The sense I got was that only the front was activated.
All ABS units prior to this I have been able to make marks on the road with all 4 tires because the ABS should not be activating until it senses the point of the tire beginning to skid or break loose. It is especially visible on hot asphalt where you would actually be pulling the asphalt at tire contact. And the first few feet would show a lighter pattern where only the rear tires caused the mark (wheelbase length). I shall have to try again with this vehicle, but temperatures have dropped.
So tying this info together in my head, along with sensing that the rear are not braking as they should, like car is pitching too much ahead, I pushed the pedal to the floor at a stop. That made a big change for awhile. That is it felt like the rear was braking properly.

My first suspicion was maybe the automatic adjusters were not working properly and I don't know how they do on this vehicle. In about 100 miles I had to repeat the pedal to the floor.
Reading of your issues where it seems more likely you have brake drag, that sort of rules out my first thought but not other suspects. These were possibly sticking calipers, but not likely multiple at same time, usually. One would certainly give feeling of torque steer.
The most likely culprits if this is happening at both brakes of axle might be ABS unit or master cylinder.
It would take more technical knowledge to narrow the cause.
There is a very high degree of our issues being related to the same component.
My case seems to be not enough pressure delivered to rear axle to properly actuate brakes at that axle. Sort of like the proportioning valve kicking in too soon or the plunger in the master sticking.

Your situation sounds like brakes not fully releasing. Is it on front axle, rear, both, or individual wheels?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.