Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy Malibu
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced starter and checked battery post and cable going to the solenoid and still won't crank ran wire from positive battery post to solenoid the starter is operating properly but it's still will not turned over checked tried starting in neutral still will not start when I try to turn the key I get nothing at all I don't even hear the fuel pump running checked all fuses under the hood and inside the passenger side of a car also in the trunk all fuses seems to be working properly all interior lights and headlights work fine other than when I try start it goes dim a little bit what should I check for now

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
How old is the battery? If over 3yrs old it needs to be load tested. If battery tests OK next step is a code scan to see if there are any issues in the anti-theft system.
Having a healthy battery and code scans are the first steps in todays computerized cars.

·
Registered
2007 chevy Malibu
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello repairman 54. I apologize for just now getting back to you. Between the weather and my own illness it can all fall a part so got to stay on top. We did a load test it was real good then that evening I removed the battery and put it inside charged it and let it sit for 12 hours and it held voltage to 12.98.+ that same day I was told it must be the emission switch so I bought a new one put it on no change no crank no start and so I inspected the fuse box all of them everything seems to be fine but I've read online with a few 26 should feel power on both sides of the fuse constantly so what I did is I had to pull the fuse and put my voltage meter down in the pins I got nothing from number 26 nothing could that be the problem also I don't believe the fuel pump is running. As for the codes we did a code check and it showed up as data error and it had this on it but don't know if it's codes or what the first one was KWP2000 and the other was ISO 9141. What's your thoughts. Also sir I appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
All the GM computer codes begin with P, U, C or B. The ones you list, I have no idea where they came from.

·
Registered
2007 chevy Malibu
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know either as I tried to look then up. So I'm going to put the dash board back together and the ignition switch and check the grounds that it has two that comes off battery and do a code check again and I'll let you know what I find out. I did notice where the mileages is it will say error if that means anything and again sir I really appreciate you helping me. With my health not being good as I was in a coma for 4 months in the hospital 8 months then Rehabilitation to learn to walk again I've really need the car to make it to the doctor's appointment so I appreciate your help

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,840 Posts
The easiest way to get the codes is to go to an auto parts store and have them scan it. However, they usually scan only the P codes.

You can buy an OBD scanner that is wireless so you can see it on your smartphone and/or tablet. Two that I know of that can scan the B, C, and U codes as well are BlueDriver and OBD Link M+. I have the BlueDriver and have never been dissatisfied. Others may be able to share their experiences with that one, the other, or some other brand.

Either way, the take-away is to get the codes scanned. When you do, either take a picture of the code(s) or write them down, then share them here.

·
Registered
2007 chevy Malibu
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used a OBD scanner that's is my friend but from the way it looks it only giving me info about the scanner and then tells me data error. Don't know if it's not working right. I would take it to auto parts place but I can't because it won't start. I got most of the dash put back on before it came a ran, I did recheck fuse 26 that is the starter fuse that is a post to be hot on both sides well one side is hot and the other is not. So what does that mean. I wanted to check the two ground wire from the battery but the rain stoped me for today I'll try again tomorrow

·
Registered
2007 chevy Malibu
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found out why I wasn't getting a reading from the OBDII it has a wire pulled out on it. The black wire I believe it's #4 right? The pin is gone. I'm going to take the pin out of the horniness of a junk car we have here to replace tomorrow. Just got lucky and seen the wire hanging there. After I get it hooked back up and do a scan I'll share the codes with you guy.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
I don't have a wiring diagram for a '07. Maybe someone with one can chime in.
A subscription to alldatadiy.com will get you a full shop manual with all the diagrams to trace out the harness. Worth it if you can read wiring diagrams.

• Helpful
Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
2007 chevy Malibu
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found a black wire that I believe goes to the OBD2 harness I thought it was the # 4 ground wire but there already a black wire on the #4 do you know the color code for it it would help alot
I'll check them out also the # 26 fuse is only hot on one side what should I do about that and should I go ahead and get the ecm tested to see if it's bad

·
Administrator
20,840 Posts
If fuse 26 is hot on 1 side, then the fuse is most likely blown. Remove it and check it. Replace it with a known good fuse and see if things start to work again. If the new one blows, then you need to find the issue that caused that.

·
Registered
2007 chevy Malibu
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If fuse 26 is hot on 1 side, then the fuse is most likely blown. Remove it and check it. Replace it with a known good fuse and see if things start to work again. If the new one blows, then you need to find the issue that caused that.
It's not the fuse it where the fuse plugs in at on the fuse box one side is hot and the other is not.

·
Registered
2007 chevy Malibu
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'll check them out also the # 26 fuse is only hot on one side what should I do about that and should I go ahead and get the ecm tested to see if it's bad
It's not the fuse it where the fuse plugs in at on the fuse box one side is hot and the other is not.
I got scan working it says no codes what should I do next

·
Administrator
20,840 Posts
Please clarify that statement. One of the three below describes your situation. If none of them do, then please describe it clearly.

1) The fuse is NOT plugged in, there is nothing to conduct power from the HOT terminal to the LOAD terminal.
Insert a fuse that has been tested and is known to be good.

2) The fuse IS plugged in, and the fuse is good, and there is power on only one side.
You have an issue with the fuse. If it was good, then power would be found on both sides.

3) The fuse IS plugged in, and both sides of the fuse are powered, and only ONE side of the wires that you test has power.
There's an issue with the fuse box and/or its wiring.

·
Registered
2007 chevy Malibu
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Please clarify that statement. One of the three below describes your situation. If none of them do, then please describe it clearly.

1) The fuse is NOT plugged in, there is nothing to conduct power from the HOT terminal to the LOAD terminal.
Insert a fuse that has been tested and is known to be good.

2) The fuse IS plugged in, and the fuse is good, and there is power on only one side.
You have an issue with the fuse. If it was good, then power would be found on both sides.

3) The fuse IS plugged in, and both sides of the fuse are powered, and only ONE side of the wires that you test has power.
There's an issue with the fuse box and/or its wiring.
I removed fuse and test both sides of terminal one was hot one wasn't. I see what I did now I'll put fuse back in and test both sides of fuse I'll let you know how it goes

·
Administrator
20,840 Posts
If you feel like you have the skills and/or the drive to DIY, then a subscription to All Data DIY dot com might be in order. You'll have access to wiring diagrams and how-to instructions.

If not, then it might be time to get a shop involved or see if there are any programs that might be able to help folks in need.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts