Registered
2010 Chevrolet Malibu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lost here ...

Tried to change out the resistor and didn't work
My control buttons work
No hear or AC comes on at all

I heard in order to replace or change the blower motor that it needs to be cut out and replaced ? Is this true

I need heat for my car as winter is coming and it's getting cold

Any suggestions or ideas

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,908 Posts
To change the stock blower motor, you will have to cut it out. There are lines to help make it easier, and the replacement blower should come with fasteners.

Have you checked all of the fuses? For Auto Climate Control there are 2, for Manual there are 3.

·
Registered
2010 Chevrolet Malibu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To change the stock blower motor, you will have to cut it out. There are lines to help make it easier, and the replacement blower should come with fasteners.

Have you checked all of the fuses? For Auto Climate Control there are 2, for Manual there are 3.
Just watched a how to on YouTube and it looks basic lol . The fuses I checked in the car on the passenger kick panel all look good

·
Administrator
19,908 Posts
Is your Climate Control the Manual or Auto?

When you unplug the blower and turn the control to High, is there power at the 12V terminal? Is the ground a good ground?

·
Registered
2010 Chevrolet Malibu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I tried to tap the blower motor with a hammer to see if it would start and nothing happened . Now when I have the control climate buttons turned to 1-2-3-4 nothing happens either . When I click the ac button on I hear the ac kick in under the hood but no air or anything . The rear defrost works and all light are on on the climate control . What if I swapped the manual climate control for another climate control ? Since it's not the blower (as far as I know) the resistor ( I changed and still same thing) now what other fuses would I check since I've checked the fuses in the car (haven't checked any under the hood)

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Here's the diagram for a '09 manual system. Meter or test light is needed to see where power is and is not going.
Product Rectangle Schematic Font Slope

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Posible but diagnosing the system with a meter or test light is the only way to check and verify what's going on.
If your electrical skills are not up to that then it's time to put in in the shop, winters here.

·
Registered
2010 Chevrolet Malibu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Posible but diagnosing the system with a meter or test light is the only way to check and verify what's going on.
If your electrical skills are not up to that then it's time to put in in the shop, winters here.
Gonna get a volt reader today and test . This diagram has me lost but am I testing at the resistor cable and at the blower motor cables as well as behind the ac and heat climate control

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
It's easy to get to the blower motor electrical connector. It's only two wires. If you take that connector off and supply the blower motor with 12v using some jumper wires [speaker wire works], this might pin point the problem. Careful, the blower uses high current.

·
Registered
2010 Chevrolet Malibu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I've tested the blower it's got a light and then tested behind the climate control I got lights on all when I turn the dial
Maybe u check the resistor now and if not maybe the blower is no good

·
Administrator
19,908 Posts
When you put it on High speed, there is a relay that bypasses the resistor pack and sends full battery voltage to the blower. That's probably the clicking you heard.

·
Registered
2010 Chevrolet Malibu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good news. I tested everything today with a handy volt reader and then I thought you myself. The blower motor isn't turning on at all , I hit it with a hammer a few times . Nothing happened , so I decided to cut it out with a exacto knife then called and ordered the OEM replacement .

Got the new part , plugged.it in and bam we have heat again

Thanks everyone for the tips and help

Cost me 82$ cad for a new blower motor with the housing on it or the cage whatever they call it (had to just bolt it in and we are back in business)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts