Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my radio was stolen recently i wired up a new radio but it doesn't turn on im wondering where the fuses are for the radio and or how to fix the wires just incase when who ever stole didn't pull a wire out of attachment
malibu 2000

·
Registered
9 Posts
Was the factory radio harness cut out of the car or did you use a plug you can get from walmart or any other place you can buy radios? The reason why I ask this is because maybe you got the wiring wrong. I have gotten the wiring wrong before when wiring up radios. But the fuses are in 3 different places 1) under the hood 2) at the left end of your dash 3) at the right end of your dash. The right side of your dash is where your radio fuse should be not sure what location the fuse is in the fuse block tho. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes the factory harness was cut but the radio that i had was an after market i looked up the wire diagram orange is the constant+ black with white stripe ground yellow is the accessory switch i know where the fuses are but i want to know which ones are associated with th radio

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i found a blown fuse that restored power to my contant + wire (orange wire) but my ground wire doesn't work and neither does the Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow anyone have any idea how to fix this

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,682 Posts
There should be 2 power wires to your radio. 1 is constant power to keep the memory alive, the other is accessory power to turn the radio on and off. It sounds like you have constant power from the car going to your accessory power on the radio, which means it never turns off until you turn it off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm looking in the hayness manual and this is the wiring to the radio....

Battery-ORG
E&C Buss-DK/GRN
Ground-BLK/WHT
Audio Comm-LT BLU
LT Aux-ORG/BLK
RT Aux-LT GRN
Dim Display-GRY
Radio ON-PINK

The speakers are as follows...
Right Rear-LT BLU & DK BLU
Left Rear- YEL & BRN
Right Front- DRK GRN & LT GRN
Left Front- GRY & TAN

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm whats "E&C Buss-DK/GRN"
this is th wiring diagram i used(below) and to be honest i never seen a pink wire all thoug there is another connector and i have no idea what it connects to but there is a pink wire there.

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Pink
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 4″ x 6″ Speakers
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Doors
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 6″ x 9″ Speakers
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Rear Deck
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,682 Posts
That is the wiring to the aftermarket radio so that's good to know. The battery constant is to keep the memory alive for the clock and radio presets, and maybe some other things.

The accessory switched tells the radio to turn on/off with the key.

Radio illumination goes to your parking lights.

Stereo dimmer - not sure, but that sounds like an audio function, not a lighting or power function.

The antenna trigger is a holdover for cars with mast-type antennas that are powered. It tells the antenna to raise when the power is on, and lower when it's off. On some radios (and maybe yours), it even differentiates between radio and CD/tape operation, and lowers the antenna when the HU is powered but you're not listening to a radio station.

The remainder of the wires are for audio functions.

If your car has had its harness cut you (or someone you hire) will need to determine which wire on the car is battery constant and which turns on/off with the key.

After you do that you should be able to hook them up and have the radio work properly. If it doesn't then you may have a defective unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sorry On the wiring I posted is to the Cassette player I should of read my book a bit more carefully. The wiring you posted is right but in my book here there is one more wire that is for the VSS Input says Engine controls system Chevrolet only. From the wiring diagram it looks like that wire goes to the engine controls I have no idea why it would but that is what it looks like it goes. Ill see if I can get this page scanned so I can post it up here for you.
VSS Input- DK Green/ White

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think im getting more info than i need basiclly the yellow accessory wire has no power and neither does the ground wire. the ground wire is not a problem because there is metal i can connect the ground wire to. i just want to restore power to the yellow wire or find another wire that can substitute for it. the diagram helps but is there another answer other than taking the dash off and finding the problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.