Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all the years I've been buying cars, I have never had to wonder whether there was a spare tire! I bought my Malibu in October - a 2013 model. This is one of several Chevy's I've bought over the years.

All my other cars had spare tires - since this is first without one, you'd think the salesperson would have let me know this very important fact! How does anyone produce a car without a spare tire? When you're at the point of needing to change a tire, an "inflation unit" is surely not going to help.

I wish I'd found this out before it was too late because I would have NEVER bought this car!!!

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
If a spare really means that much to you then you should have probably looked to make sure it had one first. I don't think the Malibu is the only new car that doesn't come with a spare.
It comes with an air pump, fix a flat and 5 years (I believe) roadside assistance. I'm not worried.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Sorry to hear you're bummed out. On a brighter note at least you don't have to take your front bumper off to change a headlight bulb.

**Pun definitely intended.**

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would rather go out and pick up a used space saver spare and jack then have to pull the bumper to change a light like myrichrod said now that's something that would have made me not buy a car,having no spare in it is no biggie in my book.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,385 Posts
Starting in 2010 or 2011 the Malibu had to have the spare ordered. When I got my '09 it came with a spare standard. When I traded it for my '11 the dealer I got it from has a standing order to build all of their cars with a spare tire. The only time they'll sell a new car without a spare is if it's a dealer trade from a dealer whose car doesn't have one. I have a spare.

I'd take not having a spare in this car if it was easier to change the headlights. I can always run and go get something to toss in the trunk but it's a horse of a different color to make the headlights easier to change.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In all the years I've been buying cars, I have never had to wonder whether there was a spare tire! I bought my Malibu in October - a 2013 model. This is one of several Chevy's I've bought over the years.

All my other cars had spare tires - since this is first without one, you'd think the salesperson would have let me know this very important fact! How does anyone produce a car without a spare tire? When you're at the point of needing to change a tire, an "inflation unit" is surely not going to help.

I wish I'd found this out before it was too late because I would have NEVER bought this car!!!
I would have to agree with you. That is a stupid thing for them to do. Who would ever think that they need to check and see if the brand new car they are buying has a spare tire. Chances are your salesperson didn't have a clue that there was no spare, and probably wouldn't know where to look for one if you were to ask them. Then to be expected to pay another $350 for a spare and tire changing tools is just retarded. That would have to be included as part of the deal for them to make the sale to me.
Don't be discouraged by some of the responses here. There is good info to found on this site, but there are a few here who seem to take it personal if you talk bad about a Malibu.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was lucky my 2010 had the $100 option for the spare already. I just went on the Chevy site to build a 2013 and I dont even see it as an available option now.

This reminds me of the time when pickup's no longer came with a rear bumper and became an option :eek:

·
ASE Certified Technician
3,072 Posts
Some of the reasoning behind no spare is that the majority of failures are leaks, not blowouts and therefore the sealant and compressor are adequate. If you are not going to buy a car due to there being no spare, you may as well buy a good pair of running shoes. Each year, more and more cars are going that way. For now the option to have a spare is there for all vehicles I'm aware of, how long that continues, remains to be seen. I do believe the fact that there is no spare is on the window sticker somewhere.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
According to the Chevy site the 2LT and up come standard with the 17" compact spare.

If you go to "build your own" then click to "compare trims side-by-side" then click on the "all" tab you will see the info for standard and optional equipment with the spare listed.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I have a 2013 LTZ with a 17" compact spare, the tires are 19" wonder if that will be a problem if I have to use it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with the orginal poster about the spare tire. I just happened to stumble upon a forum like this that mentioned not having a spare, so I made sure to open the trunk and confirm for myself that mine had a spare before I bought it. Had I not been trolling around on a forum like this I would have never known to ask. I've had to change tires on the side of the road several times, its just a part of driving. I can understand the frustration of not being given the option before spending a ton of money on a car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have to check if I have one. I do know on the door sticker it does list the spare tire. I assume I have it? I've got a 2LT

·
Registered
34 Posts
My CPO '10 had the fix a flat and a spare tire in it, no jack. My window sticker showed it to have the fix a flat option, but I think one of the salesguys threw the tire in. I asked WTH I didn't have a jack to go with my spare tire, and 5 minutes later one was found in another 'Bu for me, LOL FTW! Mom's '12 LS has fix a flat, but that's okay because we will be taking the keys away from her in the next 2 years. Peace, John

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,385 Posts
This is just Un-American!
Actually it's very American. What can they do to make the car lighter, cost less, and get better mileage, all while raising the price and making a higher profit margin? Seems very capitalistic, aka American.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I'm proud to be an American!
Where at least I know I'm free,
and I won't forget to check my trunk,
if a spare means that much to me!

And I'll gladly standup,
next to you and defend my purchase here today
cause there ain't no doubt I love this car!
God bless my Chevrolet!

:D

And now for the original...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts