Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Actually it's very American. What can they do to make the car lighter, cost less, and get better mileage, all while raising the price and making a higher profit margin? Seems very capitalistic, aka American.
I agree, but the whole earth is using that method nowadays. I think in Europe the cars do not have spare tyre for years. And the reason is what you said. Better mileage -> lower emissions. But there is a big problem here up north: the inflation kit doesn't work in freezing cold.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,434 Posts
The next step in car design will be to eliminate the space to even carry a spare. A flat floor is easier (read: cheaper) to make than a formed one, plus there wouldn't be any need to have a lift-off cover, either. Saving weight and money all at once - hmmm, what will I think of next? :wonders:

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
It would be nice if since they left the spare out of the Eco and since it has reduced space because of the battery, why couldn't they have made the trunk floor flat and eliminate the space for the spare?
I mean, you can still use that space where the spare is usually at but you have to lift the cover and if anything is in the trunk you have to remove it first to get to it. Why not just leave the lift off cover out and make the trunk the same depth of where the spare usually is, thus regaining the lost space from the battery back plus more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think because they acknowledge that many customers will put the spare tire in. They know how insane it is to sell a car without a spare but calculate the risk of the lost sale against the benefit of the lower sticker and higher mpg.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
So you think they know it is insane to sell a car without a spare so they sell a car without a spare anyways? What do you think they are, insane? You would have to be insane to buy a car from a company that makes cars if you think they are insane...

:p

·
Administrator
17,434 Posts
You guys are insanely funny! :D

·
ASE Certified Technician
3,076 Posts
So you think they know it is insane to sell a car without a spare so they sell a car without a spare anyways? What do you think they are, insane? You would have to be insane to buy a car from a company that makes cars if you think they are insane...

:p
They have to gradually phase things like this out, people won't accept change that easily. Just like many things in life that change but we don't always notice it, because it wasn't done all at once, but gradually over time. We older generations have the idea that a full size spare is the way to go, look how long the compact spare has been with us now, the generation behind me probably never saw a full size spare. The generations to come will not know what a spare was. The spare tire area may not exist in some future models, but the public has to be guided that way slowly. Most of the spare tires I check for air pressure are flat or almost flat anyway, so if you needed to use it, it would be useless anyway.

·
Registered
451 Posts
There is now way I would own a vehicle without a spare if I didn't have run-flat tires, which I also wouldn't own, because they are extremely expensive. I had a Cadillac ATS in the shop last week that didn't have a spare, but it had run-flats.

While it might be true that most tire problems are punctures, most people don't stop soon enough and end up ruining the tire from driving on it flat (at least that has been my experience working in a tire shop). Therefore, the inflation kit and fix-a-flat is useless. Also, I know many shops that will NOT repair a tire that has fix-a-flat in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 Malibu and have had two flats. One I could drive to Pep Boys, the other happened on the freeway (big spike through the sidewall) and I had to have AAA tow me.
I want to buy a spare, do I buy a spare and rim, or just the spare?
Thanks for your help.
Ellen

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I have a 2015 Malibu and have had two flats. One I could drive to Pep Boys, the other happened on the freeway (big spike through the sidewall) and I had to have AAA tow me.
I want to buy a spare, do I buy a spare and rim, or just the spare?
Thanks for your help.
Ellen
Ellen you are going to need both and the tools (Jack & lug wrench) Below is a sample of them that fit most if not all Gen 8 Malibus (I am not sure if the Turbo version with large OEM wheels Fit the standard kit, so check with seller and Dealer if you have 19" wheels) **Note that you can carry an extra piece of pipe to extend/obtain leverage to fit over the wrench.

2013-2016 CHEVY MALIBU COMPACT MINI DONUT SPARE TIRE W/JACK KIT/HOLD DOWN BOLT | eBay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, do I need the tools if I will be calling AAA to change it, should I buy this at the dealer?
Thanks again for your help.
Ellen

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Thanks, do I need the tools if I will be calling AAA to change it, should I buy this at the dealer?
Thanks again for your help.
Ellen
You do not need the tools "if you'll be calling AAA"...Having said that, what if you're in a strange situation where that is not possible? If you can afford it, yeah, dealer items are usually best. I just can't justify it since I am a frugal do it yourself-er and eBay exists with brand new dealer items... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just called the dealer, they want 561.00 plus tax. I would get it on ebay, but I do not know how to install it. AAA is 56.00 a year, at that rate, I might as well skip the little donut. I am just leary now, but guess I will skip it.
Thanks again for your help, I really, really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If a spare really means that much to you then you should have probably looked to make sure it had one first. I don't think the Malibu is the only new car that doesn't come with a spare.
It comes with an air pump, fix a flat and 5 years (I believe) roadside assistance. I'm not worried.
Wait til you get a flat on the highway and roadside don't pick up on the highway or Service road. them you'll pay $175 to get towed off the highway, then call GM again to get picked up. GM will reimburse you.
Do you really want to go through that, or just change a tire? Now I have 4 Dodges instead of Chevy's in my driveway. All for GM being cheap with a spare tire. Hope it was worth it GM.
I hit GM in the pocket good!

·
Administrator
17,434 Posts
Wait til you get a flat on the highway and roadside don't pick up on the highway or Service road. them you'll pay $175 to get towed off the highway, then call GM again to get picked up. GM will reimburse you.
Do you really want to go through that, or just change a tire? Now I have 4 Dodges instead of Chevy's in my driveway. All for GM being cheap with a spare tire. Hope it was worth it GM.
I suppose that you really showed them good, huh? I didn't like the way my diamond ring looked so I went to the pawn shop and bought a glass ring. Boy, I really showed that jeweler!

SMH

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I don't have the Malibu anymore. I have a 15 Impala that does have a spare. I also have a GMC truck with a spare and 3 years roadside tire assistance through Sams Club. Lastly I have USAA that covers towing. With all that I guess I don't need to buy a crappy Dodge.
Like I said before, If a spare really means that much to you then you should have probably looked to make sure it had one first.

I suppose that you really showed them good, huh? I didn't like the way my diamond ring looked so I went to the pawn shop and bought a glass ring. Boy, I really showed that jeweler!

SMH

Where do some of these people come from? I see it joined up this month and it says it doesn't have any Chevy's anymore. Why on Earth would it even come here to make a post about a silly spare tire then?

·
Administrator
17,434 Posts
... snip ...
With all that I guess I don't need to buy a crappy Dodge.
Like I said before, If a spare really means that much to you then you should have probably looked to make sure it had one first.

Where do some of these people come from? I see it joined up this month and it says it doesn't have any Chevy's anymore. Why on Earth would it even come here to make a post about a silly spare tire then?
Heck, I've even thought about removing my spare tire around town just to save the weight. That would leave me with no spare and no goo. Should I put a ram's head icon on the hood and trunk, then?

Why did they come here? One word that comes to mind: TROLL.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts