Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone can help me diagnose this problem I have with my car. Been at it for 3 days and still nothing.

It was running the night prior, which was around 10pm, then it wouldn’t start that morning at 6am. The starter would not turn over and would just hear the relay click. I changed the starter which solved the no crank issue but with that brought the no spark issue. I cranked a few more times which I’m guessing in turn broke the relay for the #32 relay which is run/crank ignition. I replaced that. It solved the no crank issue again but still no spark. That’s when I proceeded to check the coils and icm and which I had warranty for and warrantied out both coil and computer, with new ones. Cranked over but still no start. It has fuel pressure and injectors work fine. Checked for spark again with a spark plug connected to plug boot that’s on the coil pack and it showed no spark. That when I checked for power on the connections and it all showed it had power. I’m stumped at this point since none of the wires are burnt or bitten up. I disconnected the computer and unplugged the battery overnight and just tried to start the car but still nothing.

·
Registered
968 Posts
K, you have power to the coul ..... but no spark.

Is there a security light on? Have you checked for codes?

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
The coil pack on the2.2 is unusual, complicated and difficult to trouble shoot. Just testing for spark is a challenge. You have tested the coils, ignition module and the power/signals it receives and yet no spark. How did you test for spark? All sparkplugs must be grounded to the engine at the same time to test for spark. Not just the plug in question. There are youtube videos about testing this system, such as this one.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts