Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garmin GPS unit (portable), and am trying to figure out the best place to put it in my 09 Malibu. I have the window suction cup mount, and a flat plastic plate I can adhere to a surface and then stick that same suction cup mount to it. I also have a vent mount and a power outlet mount. Ideally I would like something that is easily removable or very inconspicuous, so when I'm parked for a long period (or in a not-so-nice area) I can not only remove/hide the GPS, but the mounting bracket as well so that it's not taunting someone to bust into my car.

I used to use the power outlet mount, but that just doesn't work with the location of the outlets in this car. I don't want to use the windshield mount, but could use the mounting disc with it if I found a suitable spot. I don't want it to be obvious and don't want to ruin the nice interior of the car, and at the same time it has to be accessible and functional.

I am currently using the vent mount. It clips on tho the horizontal plastic slats of a vent and then has a hinged knuckle that rests on the bottom of the vent, the surrounding molding or another horizontal slat to position the angle of the mount. This is nice because I can easily pull it off of the vent and hide it all. It is not nice because it blocks 1 vent, when I'm running a power cable to the unit it gets in the way of the stereo and climate control, it isn't extremely stable, and I'm worried about it breaking or causing visible wear to the vent and chrome surround over time.

Has anyone else come up with any practical solutions to this? Perhaps a permanent mounting solution that I can't pop off, but when the unit is removed it isn't very obvious because it is slim or it is located well? What do you guys do, and what works well/doesn't work well?

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you have a Garmin Nuvi they make a very nice mount that sits on the dash-mine is left side by apiller-it has the mount built into it and has 4 little sand bags that hold it in place, been using it for a month now with no issues-was around $30 bought it at amazon. I will never use the suction mount again! All you do is lift it off the dash and no marks, glue or anything as it just sits there!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Portable-Dashboard-StreetPilot-Navigators/dp/B000LRMS66/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232839723&sr=8-2[/ame]

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
74 Posts
My TomTom sits very nicely with its suction cup mount on the corner of the dash along with the radar detector. The wires are routed along the side of the dash.

·
Registered
795 Posts
If you have a Garmin Nuvi they make a very nice mount that sits on the dash-mine is left side by apiller-it has the mount built into it and has 4 little sand bags that hold it in place, been using it for a month now with no issues-was around $30 bought it at amazon. I will never use the suction mount again! All you do is lift it off the dash and no marks, glue or anything as it just sits there!

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Portable-Dashboard-StreetPilot-Navigators/dp/B000LRMS66/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232839723&sr=8-2
I bought a Garmin Nuvi last month and also use the Garmin bean bag mount. Works great.
I could not bring myself to using the permanent dash mount or making suction cup marks on the windshield.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As you see in the picture both the GPS and AUX Cable are routed to the back behind the dash where there is a small opening that you can look through and see the other side. I just slid the two cables through to the drivers side cockpit and lay the cables on the center console as you see.

Hope that helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.