Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew up the motor on the Grand Prix GTP on the PA Turnpike going to Pittsburgh on Friday the 13th.

I was about 20 miles from getting to my exit (doin about 80) when the motor wheezed and the power tapered off. I was about 15 miles from getting to a Service Plaza so I kept it rolling (I could maintain 60 but no power for passing) because I was afraid if I pulled over on the side I'd be stuck there, plus I don't have a cell phone. Pulled into the Plaza and when I slowed to about 10 it started shaking like a diesel and it shut off and the dash lighted up.

Thing was, on Thursday (1 day earlier) I had it at the dealership for a recall on rocker gaskets that they had replaced along with the intake gasket ($1,600), so I figured it blew its oil out so I put some in but it still was making a racket.

Since I only had 2 to 3 miles to my exit I decided to see if I could get it up to 60 in the plaza and sh0ot out into traffic... but.. 30 was all she'd go so I shut her down at the end of the ramp.

Called Turnpike Roadside Assistance for a tow to the Pontiac dealership (15 miles - $105) by my parents house. By then the dealership was closed.

So Saturday I looked at new cars while service checked out the GTP. They said the motors gone. Main bearings or something down in the motor. Replacement motor would be about 3K and 2K to install into a 5K car. (they all kept telling me what a shame cause its a nice looking car.)

So I was stuck looking for a new car a the Pontiac, Chevy, Cadillac, Kia, Buick Autoplex. Like my dad said "they got you by the balls!"

So the salesman asked me what I was interested in and I said I hadn't actually given it any pre-thought but I saw a nice Malibu LTZ in the lot.

So he brought over a nice 2LT with the V6 package and 18 wheels in Red Jewel with the Cocoa / Cashmere Sheer Suede.

SO... now I'm a member of you forum and glad to be here.

·
Registered
281 Posts
hey i got a GTP 2, well i still have it.
nice choice on a new ride i must say ;)
i gotta ask did u have anything done to the GTP? my best time so far with mine is a [email protected]

·
Registered
701 Posts
billzebub - Welcome to the forum.

Interesting observation - seems to be a lot of GP owners converting over to the Bu'. By the way either of you (GTPMALIBU) also belong to www.clubgp.com or www.oqcgp.com?

Sorry to hear about your GTP....Nice cars.....But I think the Bu' is just as nice!!! Let's hope they start making some good accessories for these cars.

Cheers.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i did belong to clubgp but there is way 2 much drama im not a big fan
i am part of MIGPC though they are a good group of people
and i am also on the grandprix.net forum * under mailing list* thats my favorite

and yes i do hope they start doing stuff soon.....i got the bug already:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also belong to clubgp. I found alot of good info there regarding my GTP over the years.

Mine was a 2002 (bought new) and it had 66K when it died. (No modifications.)

The Chevy Service Manager and the mechanic that declared it DOA both said the 3.8 was "bulletproof" and it was odd that mine died so young. The CSM said I should confront the Pontiac dealer who did my service the day before about getting my money back. The CSM couldn't say that the Pontiac deler caused my engine failure but it looked suspecious. So far the Pontiac dealer is contomplating my request. (Actually he's currently not returning my call.)

As far as the Malibu versus the GTP:

The GTP had the supercharger with 280tq so it pulled faster from a start (more of a growl too!) and once up to 50 or so a quick punch of the gas and I was doing 80.

The Malibu's 6 speedAT (versus the GTP's 4AT) seems slower because its geared or computerized for fuel economy so you have to give it the gas to pull out. Don't get me wrong, the 3.6 has plenty of power (it cruises easily at 80 too) it's just funneling thru the 6AT it doesn't seem as furious.

On handling the Malibu wins by quite a bit. It's tight on the 18's and it's tuned better. The GTP was still a floaty GM barge on 16's.

The Malibu's buckets grip too, I slid around on the GTP's big buckets.

The GTP did have the HUD though (Head's Up Display) that I loved. Displayed the speed, radio, etc, onto the windshield so you didn't have to look down at the actual gauges. It took awhile for me to adapt to it but then you learn to love it. I thought I'd never buy another car without it but... They Chevy dealer said GM is getting away from it anyway.

What I don't like about the Malibu:

The tiny little steering wheel accessaory buttons. My fingers are too big and the volumn up but is too far up and away from my fingers to reach easy. The GTP had buttons 5 times that size.

The steering wheel release is a pain too. On the GTP you hit the release and the wheel jumped up out of the way and you got out. The Malibu' latch remains down and I have to shove the wheel up and then relatch it. I get jammed on it every day.

Also the C pillars restrict my rear/side view.

The storage areas. The top-dash one is good but the other ones are pretty tiny. I threw about 10 CD's in the center armrest holder and they just slide around because ther's no rack in there.

It came with 2 trunk nets for the "wheel wells" in the trunk bought you can't use those to hold 4+ bags of groceries. I ordered a net that goes across the back from the dealer. ($45)

**** Don't get me wrong!! ****

This is an excellent car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
you make pretty good points there, and the hud that you had on your old car sounds cool. i wonder why they moved away from it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thanks for the comparision....Yeah, I am pretty much hoping / thinking the same thing when I get my Bu'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.