Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Now cold weather is back, the screech on startup is back.. Help

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TheSilverOne 
#1 ·
Hey everyone so it's mid autumn again and I'm starting to notice the "screech" "squeal" that I've been hearing from my 2008 Chevrolet Malibu LT 2.4 for the last 4-5 years. The noise hasn't got any louder or quieter since it first was noticed, it also only seems to happen if the temperature is below 50F or if it's damp out. After about 20-25 minutes of "warm up" the noise seems to disappear.. The motor has about 127k on it it's did this since about 85k.. I take very good care of this EDD, all the normal maintenance and service has always been performed.. I'm just wondering if it's a belt issue or a pulley.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance 💯

#3 ·
Belt has gotten ''glazed'' after all those miles. Belt tensioners get weaker over time allowing some slippage and causing belt glazing. Replace the belt and it's tensioner. Think of it as high mileage maintenance.
Todays serpentine belts have become so good compared to the old V belts it's become a forgotten item.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.