Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Very nice! How's the fuel economy? Anywhere near 33 MPG?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Are those actual rims or are they hubs? Mine are hubs but look very convensing, and I must say I am only asking because I see a bulging of the rim to where it looks like has a lip.

Very beautiful car!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Are those actual rims or are they hubs? Mine are hubs but look very convensing, and I must say I am only asking because I see a bulging of the rim to where it looks like has a lip.

Very beautiful car!
Look like the standard LT wheel covers.

I think they are about the best looking wheel covers Chevy has made.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hehe. Sorry, forgot to say "Welcome to the forum!". As far as the wheelcovers thing goes- in the past alloys were one thing that decided what level trim I might consider, because covers were cheap looking. These avoid that while keeping the advantage of covers, that being- cheaper to repair / replace than an alloy if you scuff or damage one of them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Guys.

First, according to my info readout, I'm averaging 32.7 MPG with an average speed of 46mph. My last tank was right at 32mpg.

The downside is that while running in 5th or 6th gear, there is literally NO power. At 65mph, stepping on the gas gives an immediate downshift as it should but the transmission gearing is way too sensitive. In fact, the slightist incline on a highway with the cruise on will cause the tranny to jump back and forth between 5th and 6th gear so much so that I find it better to drop it into manual mode and lock in either 5th or 6th so the tranny doesn't "hunt" so much.

Even in 5th gear in manual mode at highway speeds there is very little power. In manual mode locked into 5th, stepping on the gas gives no acceleration. Only when it is put into 4th gear will it accelerate as the higher rev range has power.

So, there is good and bad about this 6-speed auto. Yes, the advertised mpg of 33 highway is accuarate. But the drivability of this auto tranny is acceptable at best. If I had it to do over again, I would opt for the 4-speed and forego the extra few mpg. There's just too much upshifting and downshifting with this engine and tranny. Even in town, in stop and go traffic, the accelerator is jerky. The initial throttle tip in gives an abrupt push, not a smooth takeoff as Ive experienced with my past vehicles (several Monte Carlo V6s and most recently an Equinox v6).

I'm no techy but the revs and ratios just dont seem to match up.

As for the wheels, they are very convincing from a few feet away but they are plastic chrome covers. Because the steel wheels mimick the spoke pattern of the chrome covers, it allows the look of an alloy or all chrome wheel. Much better than wheels that you can see the black wheel behing the covers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.