Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here but been following the forums for a couple of weeks.Just got an 09 Malibu. Have not been in a car accident in over 25 years and what did I do with a brand new car with 40 mi. Yep I sure did. Was in stop and go traffic the car in front starts to move, I start moving, looked down to turn the heater off (which took an extra second as I'm unfamiliar with the controls), looked up slammed the brake - THUD. Get out look at the car and what do you know - the licence plate is bent but otherwise nothing happened except for a almost invisible small scratch in the clear coat. Great right - No big deal. WRONG. A cop comes on the scene and I was treated like a piece of crap and my car was put on a tow truck.

Why? A little background first. When I buy cars I call a friend of mine that works for a dealership. He has his "runners" deliver a car to my house and I drive it a day or two and then tell him I'll take it (I'm not fussy about cars). At that point he calls my insurance company and switches my insurance to the new vehicle and then faxes me a sales agreement to keep in the car till I write him a check for the car. The sales agreement gives 20 days for the dealer or me to register the car.

I hand the cop the sales agreement and my old insurance card. Half hour later he comes back to me with a real attitude and tells me as far as he's concerned the car is unregistered and uninsured and probably stolen saying that anyone could have faxed me that sales agreement. I told him the story of how I bought the car and he said he never heard of anyone buying a car like that. I did not have my cell phone with me and asked to use his and he said "No get in the car stay there - I'm going write your tickets and call the tow truck - your plates will be removed and you can walk home with them."

So I sat in the car like an idiot and not even realizing that all I had to do was press the button on the mirror to make a call. I contemplated leaving the scene as I only live a short distance away. At some point I got out of my car, crossed the street to where his car was parked in a convenience store lot, passed his car and naturally he starts to get out and I tell him I going in the store to get smokes (I usually only smoke at night). On the way out I stop at his car and ask "Do I look like a car theif?". No answer. I ask "If I was a car thief do you think I would have hung around waiting for you to get here?". No answer. At this point I had nothing to lose by dropping a name. My brother in law was on the same police force for many years up until a few years ago. I asked do you know "********"? He said yeah. And I told him he's my brother in law. He said "Yeah, him and I go way back but it makes no difference here".

So I go back to my car. A few minutes later the tow truck comes and puts the car on the truck. Now that the car is on the truck the cop walks up to me and hands me his cell phone and tells me to get my insurance company on the phone so he can talk to them. He talks to them and they confirm the car is insured. At this point he goes and talks to the tow truck driver and then come over to me and informs me I have to give the tow truck driver $80 and I can have my car back. He told me he has to talk to his boss and my brother in law about the tickets. As the tow truck driver was putting the plates back on my car I said give them to me and I high tailed out of there with no plates on the car.

I have not paid for the car yet. Maybe I should not keep it. I do love it though. I am afraid to go anywhere now. My nerves are shot and every where I go I think I am either going to get in an accident or get pulled over by an Ahole cop.:eek:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don t think you should have had your plates on the car if the registration does not show them belonging on that car. Give the dealer the money and get your temp tags or plates transfered over to the new car. Get a insurance card and you can then drive with peace of mind. As far as an accident, that can happen to anyone. Brush it off and call your brother in law who will probably lighten what you will pay in fines. You can t blame the cop if you dont have the proper documents the law requires. Unless the sale agreement also has a temp regisrtation they could care less what the dealer gave you. Each state is a bit different, I m speaking from NJ / NY law.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don t think you should have had your plates on the car if the registration does not show them belonging on that car. Give the dealer the money and get your temp tags or plates transfered over to the new car. Get a insurance card and you can then drive with peace of mind. As far as an accident, that can happen to anyone. Brush it off and call your brother in law who will probably lighten what you will pay in fines. You can t blame the cop if you dont have the proper documents the law requires. Unless the sale agreement also has a temp regisrtation they could care less what the dealer gave you. Each state is a bit different, I m speaking from NJ / NY law.
I dont blame the cop at all. I just think calling the tow truck was a bit extreme. As far as the tickets he took them back at the scene so I guess thats all set. As far as the plates the dealer first dropped off the car with dealer plates on it. Once I said "I'll take it" they sent someone out to retrieve the dealer plates and they put my plates on the new car. Right or wrong I assume they know what their doing. Maybe not.

Any way I own the car and I love it. Its the base model in silver moss metallic. Very quiet and seems extremely well made. I especially love the little show the gauges put on when you first start it up with the pointers ramping up and down.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Any way I own the car and I love it. Its the base model in silver moss metallic. Very quiet and seems extremely well made. I especially love the little show the gauges put on when you first start it up with the pointers ramping up and down.
Just think of things like that from now on, and smile;)

Otherwise, oy, but damage seems minimal and bad timing, so consider it a really extreme one-time new car foible.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I dont blame the cop at all. I just think calling the tow truck was a bit extreme. As far as the tickets he took them back at the scene so I guess thats all set. As far as the plates the dealer first dropped off the car with dealer plates on it. Once I said "I'll take it" they sent someone out to retrieve the dealer plates and they put my plates on the new car. Right or wrong I assume they know what their doing. Maybe not.

Well now you can enjoy the new car. If it did cost you anything (as far as tow truck etc.) I would ask for the money back from the dealer if it was their mistake. Good Luck anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.