Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we get a decent snow it's sometimes necessary for me to attach a recovery strap to one of our 2wd vehicles and then use the 4WD to pull it a few hundred feet up the driveway and to the main road where the snow has most often been cleared. (Yes, I live in the sticks.) This way both my wife and I can get to work. I didn't notice anything to use as a recovery anchor. Am I missing it or is there nothing on the 09 Malibu?

Thanks.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Put a good set of snow tires on the car and you won't need to use the 4WD. I pretty much can go most places a 4WD can go with my front drive cars with snow tires on.

Bill

·
Registered
202 Posts
If we get a decent snow it's sometimes necessary for me to attach a recovery strap to one of our 2wd vehicles and then use the 4WD to pull it a few hundred feet up the driveway and to the main road where the snow has most often been cleared. (Yes, I live in the sticks.) This way both my wife and I can get to work. I didn't notice anything to use as a recovery anchor. Am I missing it or is there nothing on the 09 Malibu?

Thanks.
I would like to know too.

Snow tires don't help much when there is an inch of ice under 9 inches of snow.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I would like to know too.

Snow tires don't help much when there is an inch of ice under 9 inches of snow.
You should see the hill I live on. 4 snows gets me around quite well on ice, or ice covered with snow. Most of the time I can make it on summer tires but it takes longer.

Bill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'll give it a look. I did finally make it out of my driveway today. It took lots of shoveling and 28 attempts. It would have been a 10 minute project if only they had put a tow loop of some sort near the front or rear. BTW, in deep snow, turning the traction control off is the only way to go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Put a good set of snow tires on the car and you won't need to use the 4WD. I pretty much can go most places a 4WD can go with my front drive cars with snow tires on.

Bill
You can put on snow tires and throw on some chains if you like but your not going through snow drifts a 4WD Truck will eaisly negotiate, the Malibu is just to low to the ground.

·
Registered
472 Posts
You can put on snow tires and throw on some chains if you like but your not going through snow drifts a 4WD Truck will eaisly negotiate, the Malibu is just to low to the ground.
If the snow is so deep a car with snow tires on it can get stuck then a 4WD truck without snow tires has a really good chance of getting stuck as well, especially since most owners don't bother to buy the positraction rear axle and they end up with both wheels on one side of the vehicle spinning. I have seen many cars used as snow plows to blast through snow and beat a path out of driveways, etc. Front wheel drive makes it easier because you can turn the front wheels back and forth to help with the digging.

Bill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If the snow is so deep a car with snow tires on it can get stuck then a 4WD truck without snow tires has a really good chance of getting stuck as well, especially since most owners don't bother to buy the positraction rear axle and they end up with both wheels on one side of the vehicle spinning. I have seen many cars used as snow plows to blast through snow and beat a path out of driveways, etc. Front wheel drive makes it easier because you can turn the front wheels back and forth to help with the digging.

Bill
How about a beater 4x4 with 35" mud tires? And, by the way, posi-traction/limited slip is for girls. :D I've found to really get the job done I prefer an actual locker on both the front and rear differentials. Of course you won't find that offered from the factory on any GM vehicle. So anyway, if GM would have been nice enough to add a recovery point on the Malibu it would make my life much easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.