Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
281 - 300 of 363 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Ive been hearing a lot of issues with ballast, HID kits not functioning correctly, etc. so I thought id just throw this out there. I run Xentec HID kits on all my cars, including my 08 Malibu, with out a flaw and I know its been years on them. It's an eBay brand that is usually offered a 3 year warranty through the seller, all for around $30-40 for the kit. Highly recommend them, just make sure they're genuine. I linked a example of how they should look like, you can also purchase them from this seller or any other seller just make sure they look similar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slim-HID-KIT-H1-H3-H6m-H4-H7-H8-H11-H9-H10-H13-9004-9005-9006-9007-D2S-D2R-5000K-/130714248411?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6f2d24db&vxp=mtr

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,858 Posts
My removal of the DRL fuse #46 does not make my daytime running lites turn off. I Bellevue it's 15a. Is there another fuse or relay I must remove?

2011 model.
There are a fuse and a relay in the under-hood fuse box that control the DRLs. Pull one or both and they'll turn off. If they don't then maybe someone has modified your car or there is an issue elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
I've got a set of VVM HID's in my Yukon, Ski Doo, Malibu and in my son's Sable after I pulled them from my old Sable.
Mega miles on these cheap chinese lights, had one ballast go in the Sable after aprox.
50k miles. All 4300k light sets btw.
The H4 sets with the telescopic bubs have poor high beams, IE they do not move the bulbs far enough to raise the beam level high enough to project down the road.
Single beam bulbs, no complaints, 'bu has a nice vert. cutoff in it's reflector for glare free alignment.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did the harness with my 35W kit, mostly because, I do not want to burn my wiring, but also because I live in Alaska, and the extreme weather is really rough on my car. For those that want to put the kit in their fogs, I would do the same, even though you may not use them as much, it is still better on your wiring and life of the kit.

I do not recommend putting them your Hi Beams as they need to be warm up to be effective, and you would kill those lights easily in 6 months even with limited use. Between 6000W-8000W HIDs are strong enough to emit the right amount of light the distance you need in "true darkness". I will Take a photo (since its dark up in Alaska 20 Hours of the day already) and show for those not sure how bright HID's in low beams are and post a picture.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are a fuse and a relay in the under-hood fuse box that control the DRLs. Pull one or both and they'll turn off. If they don't then maybe someone has modified your car or there is an issue elsewhere.
To add to that, make sure your entire bumper is back on. After having the same issue myself, I put the bumper back on and re-pulled Fuse 46 and it worked. I am pretty sure there is some trippy sensor on the front end of the car that keeps the lights on when the bumper is off, even if the fuse is pulled and the engine is running.

·
Administrator
20,858 Posts
To add to that, make sure your entire bumper is back on. After having the same issue myself, I put the bumper back on and re-pulled Fuse 46 and it worked. I am pretty sure there is some trippy sensor on the front end of the car that keeps the lights on when the bumper is off, even if the fuse is pulled and the engine is running.
Nope, no trippy sensor. I've had the bumper off both of my cars ('09 traded and current '11). The lights function normally regardless of bumper position or installation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK im really confused having just joined the page and trying to read everything on this topic so here is my situation if someone could plz help..

I have a 2011 Malibu 2LT and I recently got a birthday gift of 10k hid lights for my car Installed them myself and now when I drive i feel like they look great but I cannot see them projecting out as far as my original do I need to adjust them? Or what should I or shouldn't do with these new lights I see something about fuses and don't adjust them or idk just need a quick heads up on some help.. I do have a problem seeing at night and the old lights felt great for me could see clearly but the new 10k seem like its not as much or they are facing lower than the old lights.. Are these even legal in the state of tx? any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hmmm that is odd. When I pulled my DRL fuse with my bumper off, they remained on. We of course backed out of the shop and sat in sunlight to see.

As far as your issue YG16, there is an adjustment that can be made on the headlights, but for the life of me, I cannot remember the correct method of going about doing it. Depending on where in Texas you are, I would try to find a shop that professionally install's HIDs on cars, as chances are they have probably done a Malibu and know how to adjust it. I believe that the type of HIDs ( Brand ) is what causes the need for the adjustments. I have never had to do any adjustments and I can see quite a ways in the dark.

As far a legal issues. I have read that HID's are illegal, but most cops won't bust you if you stay in the proper color spectrum. Personally I think 10000K HIDs are pretty blue but that really depends on the brand. You might have a bit of white in there too (based on the picture).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Black Friday! HIDextra just launched their annual BF sales and it's 50% off everything. I just picked up their premium canbus volt kit. That's a hell of a deal for a very premium HID kit that will last. Feel free to share other Black friday deals.

·
Administrator
20,858 Posts
Their BF special is only on the 35w Signature Series. The 55w Power Series is on sale for $39.99 from $59.99, Stealth Series (slim) for $34.99 from $59.99, and the Volt Canbus Series (premium) has no discount at $59.99.

To get the relay or capacitor accessories for 50% off you have to go back to the home page and shop for accessories because after putting the 35w in the cart they go back to their regular prices. (They just didn't update every page is all.)

So, would you recommend getting the relay harness and/or the capacitors? Why did you decide on the CAN-bus version? (I'm shopping for HIDs and would like to make a single purchase instead of several.)

·
Administrator
20,858 Posts
What it does is instead of using the extremely small wires to power the lights they are now used to energize a relay that then uses larger wires directly from the battery (through a fuse!) to power the lights. This reduces the losses due to resistance to a very small level. When a device draws a lot of current (amperage, amps) over a wire with greater resistance something has to give and that's usually the voltage, or, to keep the voltage where it belongs the amps will be limited. Overall it results in less power available to the device and causes the wiring to heat up more.

Imagine trying to put out a fire with a garden hose when a fire hose was available. Which would you choose? Voltage is like water pressure and amperage is like water flow (gallons per second). So with larger wires there's more electricity available to operate the device and less is converted through resistance to heat the wiring. More pressure (volts) and more flow (amps) results in the device operating more like the specs say it should.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What it does is instead of using the extremely small wires to power the lights they are now used to energize a relay that then uses larger wires directly from the battery (through a fuse!) to power the lights. This reduces the losses due to resistance to a very small level. When a device draws a lot of current (amperage, amps) over a wire with greater resistance something has to give and that's usually the voltage, or, to keep the voltage where it belongs the amps will be limited. Overall it results in less power available to the device and causes the wiring to heat up more.

Imagine trying to put out a fire with a garden hose when a fire hose was available. Which would you choose? Voltage is like water pressure and amperage is like water flow (gallons per second). So with larger wires there's more electricity available to operate the device and less is converted through resistance to heat the wiring. More pressure (volts) and more flow (amps) results in the device operating more like the specs say it should.
thank you, that makes sense,i think ill try just the hid harness and see what happens,i appreciate your detail.

·
Administrator
20,858 Posts
I believe the answer to that is, Yes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up replacing my my harness and ballasts with a much better quality. I have sense had no problems with power inconsistency or flickering. I just keep my parking lights on during the day and turn on the HIDs' at night.

AutoLoc ION HID's 6K
Upgraded Euro Ballasts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone seen these... CMF EDIT: url removed from 1st post by new member - Chinese wholesale link I hope its true and they're starting to catch on that we want upgrades for our headlights. If it is I believe the 2012 is still gen 7. Not sure on the price tho. It appears to be that a group purchase is required but not positive on that, just curious if anyone else has run across these.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So to start I'm not sure how beneficial this will be with installing HID but possibly with changing the low beam bulbs regardless of the application...
I recently took the car up to the dealership to get some work done along with changing the bulbs. After all the work was completed I noticed some chips from when they installed the bumper so I took it back up there. While the tech who worked on my car took the bumper off ect another tech claimed he changes the lows by only popping the inner fenders. Has anyone else been able to accomplish this? Ive searched the forums but haven't seen anyone else claiming this talent lol. If it can be done I would imagine it'd be to difficult to install the ballast/relays.

The tech that was claiming he could do this was a pretty big guy so I'm thinking he may be a little confused on his abilities.

281 - 300 of 363 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.