Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

301 - 320 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed my HID's myself, it was a little tricky but got it both on the fog lights and regular driving lights. I have the purple ones, look pretty good! If anyone is in the illinois area i got the kit from TopSpeed right off of Ashland Ave in Chicago.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do I need to buy 4 error code eliminator adaptors since i am doing my headlights and fog lights?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, so I have an 08' Chevy Malibu LTZ and have installed 6K HID bulbs on both fog and low beam. I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what's going on. My driver side low beam HID light sometimes does not turn on at start up. I've come to the conclusion that there isn't sufficient power to turn that one on at start up. I have to turn the light off for a few seconds and then turn them on in order for the lights to come on. How should I fix this? It's too annoying having to sit in my car and play with the lights until they both come on and it makes my car look ridiculous when driving with 1 HID light on.

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
Use the Search feature. Once you find the many posts about HIDs you'll discover that you probably need to use a relay kit for yours.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi, so I have an 08' Chevy Malibu LTZ and have installed 6K HID bulbs on both fog and low beam. I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what's going on. My driver side low beam HID light sometimes does not turn on at start up. I've come to the conclusion that there isn't sufficient power to turn that one on at start up. I have to turn the light off for a few seconds and then turn them on in order for the lights to come on. How should I fix this? It's too annoying having to sit in my car and play with the lights until they both come on and it makes my car look ridiculous when driving with 1 HID light on.
I am going to guess that yours will have the same issue as mine (DRL is still connected and working) simply because of what you said I can almost assure you the driver side HID will be going out soon, should be the ballast going out not the bulb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help me here. I'm new to the thread and I've been searching around and don't see exactly what I'm looking for so please have patience...

Here's what I've got and what I'm trying to do. I have a 2012 Malibu LTZ that I'm trying to install HID lights in my Fog Lights. From what I read here, I bought a 35W H11 6000k kit then added a relay. I followed the instructions exactly from the kit and relay supplier but got no lights when I turned them on. I figured perhaps the polarity was switched so I changed it. Still nothing. I then decided to just plug the ballasts directly into the lights bypassing the relay and it worked. So that had me thinking there was something wrong with my relay wiring. The only thing I could conclude was that the car does not have chassis grounding. Each side has a negative wire that needed to be screwed to the chassis. No matter what piece of metal I touched with it, nothing worked. When I ran a bypass back to the negative on the battery, voila... it worked. So, now that you know how I had to wire it here are my issues. First, one side is a different intensity then the other. I would say one side is like 5000k and the other is 6000k. Both sides flicker but with the 5000k side it's very noticeable. I checked all connections but nothing changed. So, what are your thoughts? Do these cars not have chassis grounding? What am I missing here? What would explain the flickering and mismatched colored bulbs beside the obvious wrong bulbs sent? This was a kit so nothing came separately except the relay. Do I even need a relay for fog lights since they seemed to work without the relay?

Much appreciated for this novice HID guy...

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I put in the relay, but I'm still having trouble getting both headlights on. The same thing happens, at startup the passengers side headlight goes on but the driver's side does not. What else could it be? because I already installed the relay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It sounds like you're having the same grounding issue I had. Does each side of your relay plugs at the lights have a ground wire or just one ground wire for the whole relay? Mine was individual ground wires. Come to find out the car does have chassis grounding but everything is painted so I had scrape it down to bare metal. Hope that helps.

BTW not that anyone ever responded to my question but the HID manufacturer is sending a replacement bulb and ballast for the one side that's flickering and not the same color.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed my hid kit on friday. I have 35 watt 8k lows and fogs. I hate the fact I had to take the bumper off but I got it done. Here are some pictures.

I ran the relay harnesses for the lows and fogs through the decent size holes on the metal bar in the front.

After I finished

Kinda blurry but they light up the road pretty good.

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
That looks really good! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi All. In need of help here. My first set of HID worked for s bit then a bulb died. I chalked it up to hardware and got new kit. About a month ago I lost one light and now the other. Sometimes one light wouldn't come on and the other did, sometimes it was the opposite, especially if I turned them off then on again. WtF? I have a relay installed. It also appears that upon turning on the lights it flicks for a second and doesn't cone on. I also have my DR pulled.

On a side note. .. Anyway to disable the automatic lights. . Make them completely manual on?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Check the relay you installed. On my monte carlo, I had a relay kit on it and the relay went bad. Some days the HIDS would work and sometimes they wouldn't. Just see if the correct voltage is coming through it with a volt meter. Or it could be the ballast too if they flicker then shut off.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi All. In need of help here. My first set of HID worked for s bit then a bulb died. I chalked it up to hardware and got new kit. About a month ago I lost one light and now the other. Sometimes one light wouldn't come on and the other did, sometimes it was the opposite, especially if I turned them off then on again. WtF? I have a relay installed. It also appears that upon turning on the lights it flicks for a second and doesn't cone on. I also have my DR pulled.

On a side note. .. Anyway to disable the automatic lights. . Make them completely manual on?
To disable manual mode twist the switch back and it should say on the dash "Manual mode off" to re-engage same procedure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My left low beam headlight bulb went out months ago, a few months after I bought my used 2009 Chevy Malibu Hybrid. After reading in horror the step-by-step of replacing a headlight, I managed to get the headlight assembly off in about 2 hours.

I didn't realize a previous owner had set up HID lighting until I actually took it off, and not knowing anything about them at the time, I was pretty screwed. I just saw a mess of wires and a black block and smashed my head against the figurative wall.

I couldn't even figure out how to remove the bulb, as it seemed to be permanently connected to it's black plastic/rubber base, so yanking the black & red wires out was the only I way I could take it out. So now I have no bulb in the low beam slot, and a mess of wires.

Anyway now that's it's finally not 10 degrees out again I'm going to give it another shot, but I was hoping I might get an idea just what I need to get/do. I think (although I'm not 100% sure) that the wiring is the culprit, as one of the connections in the mess of wiring looks a bit melted, so I'm guessing that has to be replaced.

Am I right that that is part of the Relay Wiring Harness? So I wouldn't need to buy an entirely new kit, just a new harness such as this? If that's the case I'm hoping it will be a pretty straightforward job for someone with little knowledge of these things.

And as far as bulbs, would these be ok? I would probably switch from 8000K (currently working in the right headlight) to 6000K, so unfortunately I'd have to take off the right headlight too.

I know it's Hong Kong EBay so how good could these parts be, but I would like to spend as little as possible. I would spend a bit more if there's a significant difference in quality.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd actually be fine with doing that, I just don't really know how to go about it. Outside of a computer, wiring baffles me. Is there a step-by-step anywhere on how to revert back to halogen?

My quick google searches haven't come up with much.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wish i could help you, it's honestly very difficult without being in person. Seems like a rats nest you have. I would just trace back to the cars harness and take everything out that is aftermarket

301 - 320 of 357 Posts