Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there mixed info/recommendations for oil changes-oil life percentage? Service advisors say 15% & generally most people 10-20%. I change @ 35%-considering what we know about these small turbos and potential issues-am I too cautious or sensible?

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Full synthetic oils are a must for turbos IMO. With full synth. I have no issues going to 10%. That's what I did with my old Continental with the 2.7 twin turbo.
Semi synth. then 35% is not out of line IMO.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,002 Posts
You have a 2017 LT, right JJA? I think changing at 35% is sensible. Under normal usage the OLM on gen9 just uses 7500 and counts down so 35% is about 5000. It can change based on temps and rpm average and a few other uncommon variables but for the most part it is just a linear reminder. I change at 5000 as my extended warranty/service contract says I have to change oil per OLM guidelines or 5000 miles, whichever occurs sooner. If I didn't have the contract I'd probably change it between 5000-6000 miles. Make sure it is full synthetic as repairman said.

I always use plain old Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5W30. Be careful of some of the alternatives... Mobil1 High Mileage, Annual Protect, etc sometimes lack dexos1 and some of the other certs. Mobil1 Advanced Full Synthetic has all the current standard certs and licenses: GM dexos1 gen2, ILSAC GF-6A , API SP, MD, DDS, PhD...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Full synthetic oils are a must for turbos IMO. With full synth. I have no issues going to 10%. That's what I did with my old Continental with the 2.7 twin turbo.
Semi synth. then 35% is not out of line IMO.
I presumed as a generation 9 thread that fully synthetic was a given. I have a 2017 Malibu LT-so I guess you’re saying I’m too cautious? I respect that. I was referring to potential issues with the 1.5t & 2.0t. that I’ve read. if 5k miles (for example) is the recommended interval (sometimes) to change oil then 10-20% is pushing it, no?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have a 2017 LT, right JJA? I think changing at 35% is sensible. Under normal usage the OLM on gen9 just uses 7500 and counts down so 35% is about 5000. It can change based on temps and rpm average and a few other uncommon variables but for the most part it is just a linear reminder. I change at 5000 as my service contract says I have to change oil per OLM guidelines or 5000 miles, whichever occurs sooner. If I didn't have the contract I'd probably change it between 5000-6000 miles. Make sure it is full synthetic as repairman said.

I always use plain old Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5W30. Be careful of some of the alternatives... Mobil1 High Mileage, Annual Protect, etc sometimes lack dexos1 and some of the other certs. Mobil1 Advanced Full Synthetic has all the current standard certs and licenses: GM dexos1 gen2, ILSAC GF-6A , API SP, MD, DDS, PhD...
Thanks-I go to the dealership-(Dexos) have an extended warranty about 32 months left. Will go to local shops after that unless I’m driving electric then😩

·
Registered
146 Posts
You guys sure are cautious out there. I forget about it until the DIC reminds me to change the oil. Is that 5 or 10%?

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,297 Posts
My wife's Cruze 1.4T GDI spends its time on the highway and the oil always looks good when I check it, so I feel fine letting it go beyond 25%. If you do a lot of stop and go driving, earlier oil changes are better, but I would expect to get no less than 5,000 miles out of it.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys sure are cautious out there. I forget about it until the DIC reminds me to change the oil. Is that 5 or 10%?
I get it. I just figure newer/cleaner oil is one way to prevent issues. I’m no mechanic-if I was maybe drive a ‘70 Chevelle SS🙂

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,006 Posts
4 Barrel!
A toilet wanting to up-level becomes a Gas Pedal.

I had a 1975 Nova 350-4V and it was a blast. Had my Dominoes manager ride along one evening. On the way back we were talking about how it launches. I caught the front spot at several lights and launched. After a couple of those, I noticed a car behind me rowing his own but still getting smaller in the rearview. After getting into the town traffic I slowed down to the new, lower speed limit. He came flying by. That's when I saw the new car sticker on his Mazda RX-7.

It was a great evening after that! :D

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
5K oil changes on my Regal GS 2.0T, don't bother with the OLM, same with my 08 Malibu LTZ 3.6, 5K is my routine.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I am surprised by some of the percentages people are mentioning on their OLMs for changing oil but agree with the mileage mentioned for oil changes...

on the GF's 2013 2.0T the last percentage was 13% but was only at 3240 miles...she does mostly City type driving (or did during that oil life cycle) and it had been 11 months...

the 2013 2.0T gets Mobil 1 5W30 and got an AC Delco UPF48 Ultraguard filter but may get the standard PF48 at it's next change...

no noted engine issues since bought new in March of 2013

Bill

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,006 Posts
@SilverSport and anyone else who wants a good oil filter:

Check out the YouTube channel for Project Farm. He is not sponsored by anyone and has tested a number of products. He has done air filters, oil, and all sorts of other things. However, I can't seem to find where he has tested oil filters. His info might guide you to a choice you had not considered previously.

This is a page that lists videos of oil filter comparisons. Seeing what's inside can help with your filter choice.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,002 Posts
Reactions: zbrad and JJA

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A toilet wanting to up-level becomes a Gas Pedal.

I had a 1975 Nova 350-4V and it was a blast. Had my Dominoes manager ride along one evening. On the way back we were talking about how it launches. I caught the front spot at several lights and launched. After a couple of those, I noticed a car behind me rowing his own but still getting smaller in the rearview. After getting into the town traffic I slowed down to the new, lower speed limit. He came flying by. That's when I saw the new car sticker on his Mazda RX-7.

It was a great evening after that! :D
Good ol days 👍

·
Registered
856 Posts
Amsoil 5w-30 signature series and AcDelco ultraguard oil filter on my LTG. I don't following the OLM.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I already mentioned this in post 3, but here are the guidelines for the OLM in 2013+. Excess coolant temp and RPMs can cause the OLM to decrease in a non-linear fashion: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10099532-2280.pdf
Amsoil 5w-30 signature series and AcDelco ultraguard oil filter on my LTG. I don't following the OLM.
Haven’t changed my own oil since late ‘90’s when I had an ‘85 S10. Chevy dealers use Dexos 1 2nd gen which I hear is basic Mobile 1 or AC delco full syn

1 - 20 of 34 Posts