Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm opening up a can of worms here but I wanted to get some opinions on oil filters.

I've used Fram forever on the prix, but I want the best for the Bu so I did some reading. I found that there were several places that rate Purolator PureONE Oil Filter (Gold) as the best. Although they are more constrictive than most because of the surface area.
K&N and Mobile1 tend to come in second.

Anyone used the PureONE? (Not the original) Or hear good things about it?

Do you think it may be too constrictive? (I will be using 5W30)

Oh 3.6

· Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
I have always had good luck with WIX filters (aka Carquest premium filters, blue label). K&N and Mobil 1 filters are overpriced when both WIX and Purolator are better at filtering.

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. Anyone know if the 3.6 requires anything special for a change? Like oil filter socket? Back breaking? etc?

I expect it to be simple but want to be prepared.

· Registered
166 Posts
I use Puro Pure 1's on my '09 3.6 - part # 12222. No complaints whatsoever.

I usually pick them up from Advacedauto when they do their combo specials or sometimes from Amazon when they have them.

No - nothing special needed for oil change.....15mm wrench(top of my head) and the filter is easy to reach.

The only issue is that if you take the filter off from the bottom - the oil will stream down your arm......You can also take the air cleaner cover off and losen the hoseclamp and swivle the intake tube away and take the filter off from the top - to avoid the oil...but either way - its really easy.

Oh - and if you ever want to learn TOO much about oil - head to bobistheoilguy.com

· Premium Member
344 Posts
Delco filters here... I have used them on all my vehicles and never had a problem.

· Premium Member
31 Posts
NAPA Gold (WIX) or Delco gets my vote.

· Registered
2 Posts
I use Wix, Delco, or every now and then the local auto parts store has 5 quarts of mobil 1 synthetic and a mobil 1 oil filter for 28 dollars.. When they run that special i buy for a couple changes...

· Registered
21 Posts
Been a hardcore Fram user for years on all my cars and trucks. Put one in Bu for first oil change some months back.

· Registered
119 Posts
Probably the one I would never use. They had some issues with breaking down years back. Just don't trust them anymore.
You can say this about a lot of companies like Firestone, but they improved thier tires!. GM, many issues with bad cars, they have improved!

I only use AC myself, usually can find them on sale, especially in quantities. Even get a few free from the dealership where my brother works.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
You can say this about a lot of companies like Firestone, but they improved thier tires!. GM, many issues with bad cars, they have improved!

I only use AC myself, usually can find them on sale, especially in quantities. Even get a few free from the dealership where my brother works.
True, but if they had the issue again it would effect MY engine. And I won't take that chance. I use only AC Delco.

· Premium Member
502 Posts
True, but if they had the issue again it would effect MY engine. And I won't take that chance. I use only AC Delco.
I've always used AC Delco but got a deal on some K&N so am going to try them... Will let you guys know how they do...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.