Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a Turbo set-up for the 2.4 eco, and today, 200 miles (not even) since the last time i looked at the TB there was oil in the intake before the TB, and on the lever within the throttle body. This to me screams that the PCV is not doing its job...so upon further looking, the "catch" for oil from the PCV which runs with the air intake, has a microscopic crack in it, and i am assuming under high pressure sprays oil into the TB, a little, but a little bit of oil in the wrong place makes a big difference. So for right now i have an oil catch can set up, running from the PCV, to avoid further damage, and am flushing all of my enigine to try to deter further damage than i am sure was done... Im including pictures for you to see what i am talking about...

Other people may want to look out on their malibus for the same issue...my malibu has only 11k miles and i run 0w-50 for oil, changed every 2500...

· Premium Member
502 Posts
I can't tell too much from your picture, and I wouldn't be as qualified as others on this topic to stab at any advice, but any reason to run 0W-50?

It's prohibited from use in reference to the manual. (The GM spec called for has no 50 weight oil mentioned.) I'm in Chicagoland too and 5W went fine all winter, maybe our recent up and down temp spells are messing with any internal adjustments as the oil gets dense.

0W-50 would have a real large viscosity change as things heat up, too. I would consider running 0w-30 if you're concerned about winter startup, and maybe 5W-30 for the summer even if this is unrelated.

Just my 2 cents.

· CMF Veteran Member
1,413 Posts
The factory recommended 5W-30 is a compromise for a NA motor. Higher viscosity means thicker film of oil that protects better but at the expense of higher friction. Erik is doing the usual "0w-50 for oil, changed every 2500" for his turbocharged motor.

· CMF Veteran Member
1,413 Posts
still ive never heard of 0w-50 in a performance app before ever........
I know, it's certainly not common but Erik knows what he's doing. The way I figure, you'd want maximum protection when you are fitting and tuning a custom turbocharger. There are so many other variables to worry about. The 0W-50 oil he's using is probably ENEOS 0W-50 synthetic by Nippon Oil (I cannot find any other oil in that grade). It's an API SM oil which means it contains normal additives for daily use (vs. race only). See http://www.eneos.us/product/2.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eneos is the only publically available 0w-50 right now, mobil 1 has one in development, but is not made for a DD. I use 0w-50 because it also is better for higher RPM motors, or motors which produce high(er) pressure, which the 2.4 does... 0w-50 is also good for higher performing engines that are being used over a long distance course, or something such as tuning a high compression set-up over periods of time.

· CMF Veteran Member
1,413 Posts
Eneos is the only publically available 0w-50 right now, mobil 1 has one in development, but is not made for a DD. I use 0w-50 because it also is better for higher RPM motors, or motors which produce high(er) pressure, which the 2.4 does... 0w-50 is also good for higher performing engines that are being used over a long distance course, or something such as tuning a high compression set-up over periods of time.
It's become hard to keep track of synthetic oils. There are so many, with new ones popping up all the time.

One thing, I don't quite understand where the oil came from in your original post. PCV just reacts to the manifold vacuum and thus there must be something that upset the balance. Did you do something to lower the manifold vacuum or increase the blow-by which in turn caused oil to be splashed into the intake? Anyway, thanks for the oil info.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
FYI some oil in the TB is very common. It is a known "issue" of the LS1 too. Hence why many including myself added a catch can to my LS1. Small amounts won't do any harm, but larger amounts can.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,162 Posts
Is this an issue with the 3.6? If so, what is a catch can, and how should it be added?

· CMF Veteran Member
1,413 Posts
FYI some oil in the TB is very common. It is a known "issue" of the LS1 too. Hence why many including myself added a catch can to my LS1. Small amounts won't do any harm, but larger amounts can.
So I assume it must be just the oil mist from the PCV port condensing in the intake when driven hard. I would've thought the breather side would be more of a problem without a PCV valve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.