Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m new here I got a new to me 09 with a ecotec in it. Just a work car can anyone tell me if a leak issue? I haven’t got a chance to really look for it yet. It appears to be on the passenger side of the car. Is there a common leak here? If there’s a thread feel free to steer me in the right direction thank you. Oh names Craig btw!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,956 Posts
What does it look like?

If it looks like water, it's normal. It's the AC condensation being drained from the car. All cars with AC do it.

If it looks like trans fluid or motor oil, put it up on a lift and start inspecting it.

If it is gas, stop driving it and have it taken to a shop so they can put it on a lift and find the cause.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I work on my own stuff all the time lol it’s oil. I was wondering if there is a common oil leak problem with these. I don’t have a lift but I can take over to my buddies shop soon. I just haven’t had time to look since I got the car

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,956 Posts
Good to know that it's not gas leaking!

They are not commonly known to leak oil. I believe that your oil filter uses a cartridge that is inserted into the container and then the top is screwed on. Check that for any signs of leakage.

In the process of driving the car, someone may have had some road debris pop up and cause an issue, but that seems very unlikely.

The only other things I can think of are a trans fill or drain plug not fully tightened, an oil seal (crank, cam, etc.) weeping enough to drip, or the oil drain plug weeping.

By checking where the air is spreading it under the car, you may be able to find the "head waters" and zero in on its source.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts