Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 08 Malibu 1LT about 2 months ago and with a little over 2,000 miles on it, the Oil Life meter is sitting at 83%. This morning I get an email from OnStar saying, among other things, that my next required maintenance is estimated for 13,600 miles.

Now... I'm not one to quibble with fewer oil changes, but that seems a bit off to me.

So, my question is: at roughly what mileage do folks get their first oil change? 3,000? 5,000? Or will the Oil Life meter do a drastic drop and I should listen to the computer?

I have to say I'm leaning to having the first oil change done at 3K miles, regardless of what the oil life meter says.

·
Registered
19 Posts
im at 1600 and im going to change it tomorrow or monday, i heard people change 500, 1000, 3000. after that im going to go about 6000 regaurdless what the meter says....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought my 08 Malibu 1LT about 2 months ago and with a little over 2,000 miles on it, the Oil Life meter is sitting at 83%. This morning I get an email from OnStar saying, among other things, that my next required maintenance is estimated for 13,600 miles.

Now... I'm not one to quibble with fewer oil changes, but that seems a bit off to me.

So, my question is: at roughly what mileage do folks get their first oil change? 3,000? 5,000? Or will the Oil Life meter do a drastic drop and I should listen to the computer?

I have to say I'm leaning to having the first oil change done at 3K miles, regardless of what the oil life meter says.
First oil change by anal car enthusiasts: 1-3K

First oil change by rest of the world: When the computer tells them to.

Which car makes it to 250K miles: They both do.

Take your pick, but nobody has proven anything by changing oil early other than wasting precious resources, myself included...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I changed mine today for the first time. I've had it 2 weeks and already hit 1k and switched to mobil 1 synthetic. All's I have to say is wow, the filter is wicked. Never had a car with a filter like that. I did get the tool and it was super easy. I actually like it better than normal filters. At least you get to see how it's doing.

I think I'll personally change mine in another thousand just for fun to see how it's doing. Had some small aluminum flakes, but not much. Really happy with the car.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Did my 3K oil change and went with Pennz Platinum :D this is my third oil change since I bought it in May, next one at 6k
Yeah i'm anal and waste precious resources :rolleyes:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I changed the Oil/Filter in mine at 1500 Miles. Just for the "Break In". Then again at 3,000 Miles. Guess its going to be every 3k.
I decide to Try Castrol Syntec Blend 5/30. And the usual Pure One filters. My previous Escape used Pennzoil Platinum 5/20 and Pure One filters. Ran it once to 4k. And the oil was finally getting dirty. But due to the Cost I decided to Try the Syntec Blend.
Amsoil 10/40 gets used in my 05 Honda Silver Wing. Its labeled a "Scooter" oil.
Escapemax

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.