Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just a basic question. 2015 Malibu LS 2.5L engine. My oil cap says to use Dexos 5w20 oil. I have only ever had the dealership do the oil changes ever since I bought it new. Had one done today and was looking over the work order. It says they used 5 quarts of Dexos 5w30. I never took notice before what they used, so they may have used that since the first oil change. My question is, does this have any negative effect? This is a Chevy dealership, so you’d think they’d know the proper oil to use in their cars.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,400 Posts
If it concerns you enough, you may want to speak with them and ask if it was a typo (selected wrong code) or if they actually used 5W30. If they did, then you are left with a choice to have them refund you for not doing what was requested, or replace it with the correct viscosity.

I'd leave it until the next OC, then make sure to ask them what viscosity they use.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
All I use in my '15 2.5 is 5w-30 Super Tech synth. . At 89k miles now. Just drive it. I would rather have the 30w, the 20w is only in there to gain fractions of a tenth of MPG for federal CAFE standards and in hot weather it's like water.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m not really concerned about it, it was just a question. The car only has 29,125 miles on it right now, so even if they’ve used it from the start, I haven’t put a ton of miles on it where it should have harmed anything

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
If they put in 5w30 and the call is 5w20, I'd want to know why the dealership chose to use that oil...it may be a substitute authorized oil or an update I'd like to know about as well...I'd suspect that the dealership used a full synthetic oil rather than the original Dexos synthetic blend called for during the time your car was made...

Bill

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,400 Posts
All in all, I think it's great that you took the time to read your service order and be aware of the what your car calls for. Keep on being aware and asking questions!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I believe in or about 2015/16 the GM spec for my 2014 2.5L changed from 5W-20 to 0W-20. My
dealer started using the 0W for the oil changes. I don't know if that coincided with the oil being a full
synthetic rather than a Dexos blend or not. I believe the original oil changes in 2014 were a blend
because I recall being curious since I used full synthetic Pennzoil in my Cobalt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think the older Malibu's used 5w-30 anyway. It will not hurt anything, that minor an oil weight change. When I have taken my car to my local Chevrolet dealer for oil changes, in winter they use 0w-20, in summer they use 5w-20. My engine runs great, no problems and never uses oil. Just the Dexos stuff.

·
Registered
55 Posts
All I use in my '15 2.5 is 5w-30 Super Tech synth. . At 89k miles now. Just drive it. I would rather have the 30w, the 20w is only in there to gain fractions of a tenth of MPG for federal CAFE standards and in hot weather it's like water.
I agree with John...use the 5w30 and sleep easy. These motors are DI, so the fuel dilution will bring the 30w down to a 20w in no time ;)

All I use is 5w30 in my vehicles when they call for 20w. I have a large supply of AAP clearance Shell RGT 5w30 that is working out nicely in the Malibu and Enclave.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts