Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter came home from college for the weekend so I thought I would change the oi/filter. Opening the hood I saw oil sprayed on the passenger side of the engine compartment.
Looking with a light I could see the serpentine belt had oil on it too. Checking the oil dipstick I couldn't see any oil.
I didn't notice anything unusual looking underneath the car nor from the top of the engine compartment with a light.
I'm taking it in Monday to an indpt mechanic. Hopefully nothing serious.
I've had the car since new (Nov 2012) and with 120K miles its been trouble free so far.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,495 Posts
Did anyone check the oil and not put the dipstick all the way back in?

Did someone add oil?

Did someone loosen the oil filter?

Is the drain plug secure?

Has there been any damage from road debris?

Those are the first things I'd be looking for.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did anyone check the oil and not put the dipstick all the way back in?
Did someone add oil?
Did someone loosen the oil filter?
Is the drain plug secure?
Has there been any damage from road debris?
Those are the first things I'd be looking for.
I last changed the oil.
Dipstick was in.
No one added oil since I last did the oil change
The drain plug seemed secure (by hand)
Couldn't see any damage from road debris.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mechanic said he didn't replace anything as he couldn't see any oil leaking after changing oil. Hes had my car three weeks test driving it to verify issues. He put red dye in oil before changing oil but couldn't see any signs of leaking.
I'm stumped as to why there was oil leaking in passenger side of engine and why I needed to put 2 qts of oil to get it to full.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
Son of a gun! It happened again. My son was driving the car and the battery light came on. The serpentine belt slipped off because of the oil leak on the passenger side.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Send nudes pictures of the engine bay and where you think the oil is coming from. Not sure I personally will be able to help you out because but there are a few people on here that really know their stuff.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read another post where someone replaced the crankshaft seal and that fixed the problem. The car is not in my possession

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
They sell ultraviolet dye detection kits for every fluid in a car. You will be able to detect even the smallest leaks with one. I've use one for A/C leaks and coolant leaks. Saw the dye in the oil in my old '03 3.1 that I put in the coolant to confirm a intake manifold leak which they were famous for.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well supposedly the mechanic that I trust put the dye in the oil last time I brought it in and couldn't find the leak.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My son took the car into a mechanic this Monday. They couldn't replicate the leak and were going to put the belt back on and have my son pick up the car. I called the mechanic and said not to put everything back and to just replace the crankshaft seal and harmonic balancer.
The following video explains what most likely happen to my car (now my son's car). Same year and model as my car.
2013 Malibu Crankshaft seal replacement

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,495 Posts
That guy did an awesome job. Real inventiveness when making that spring compressor!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts