Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Malibu with a 2.5 i4 start/stop LS trim and 102000 miles. I recently took a trip from VA to TN and back. When I returned home I checked the oil only to find it a half quart down. I have always used Mobile 1, 5W20 with a AC-Delco filter. Was wondering if anyone else had the same problem.

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
My '15 2.5 barely used a 1/2 qt. on an OLM oil change cycle. But I only used 5-30w full synth. in it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Last summer I got a warning on my 2013 that I was low on oil which had never happened before. Thought it might be a fluke but it happened a second time after I had made sure that it was full after an oil change.

I know PCV valves are often a common reason for this so I replaced both of mine, only cost a little over 20 bucks on Amazon. Just had my oil changed a month ago so I'll have to see if I make it to the next one or not.

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Are you using 5W30 because of the mileage? The manual calls for 5W20.
I'm using the 5-30w as every other vehicle in my fleet uses it. I'm no fan of 5-20w in summer and they only spec. it to try and squeeze another 1/10th of an MPG out of the car for the govt. ratings. 20 to 30w top number will not affect anything in the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts