Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am going to be Upgrading my stock stereo system. Basically adding a Subwoofer. Currently I have a Kenwood KAC9103D mono amp. Just ordered a Pyle 3.2F Capacitor. The 4 gauge wire was laid in the car. Now the question is, Is one Sub going to be enough? Found a good deal on a Pyle 10" Square Sub. Already purchased one. Thinking about getting a second. The Amp puts out (CEA 2006) 500 Rma @ 4 Ohm, 900 rms @ 2 Ohm. Supposed to be 1 Ohm stable. These are DVC. 4 Ohm per coil. One would run 2 Ohm. A pair would run 1 Ohm.
Thanks
Escapemax

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you go with 2 subs, my opinion would be wire the coils in series, making the subs 8ohm, then wire the subs parallel, making the system 4ohm. It would run the amp much more stable and cooler. Even though the amp may be stable to 1ohm, it'll get pretty hot.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heres the Flip Side to wiring them Series-Parallel. 8 Ohms per coil. 500 Watts rms 4 ohm. That would be about 250 per speaker.
My thought was to run 1ohm. But keep the gain down since I'll be using the stock radio.
Escapemax

·
Registered
59 Posts
Might as well stick with just one sub. You are probably going to find that the output from the factory head unit does not have much low bass signal. Unless of course distortion and rattling bodyparts is your thing...

·
Registered
5 Posts
rattling bodyparts is your thing...
That is the only thing i hate about my 2 10" subs. The whole car rattles when you get the bass going, and its imposable to see anything out your mirrors. But having 2 will make your car loud. So if you like having loud bass and your car rattling the whole time like i do, then go for 2 subs, if not then stick with the one.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am concerned if 1 will be enough. With the large volume inside the Malibu.
I'm probably going to have to build my own box. Or have one made. These are square subs. Like the Kicker L5/L7.
Thanks
Escapemax

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have a box with two twelves in the trunk and i connected it with a high/low converter and it sounds really good. i have to keep the bass about halfway down so it doesnt drown out the highs.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought the 2nd Plye Square sub. Today I was looking in my trunk. Theoretically, You could squeeze 4 of these across the width.
I may end up having to build my own box. Only found a couple that would work for the Subs. But they're kinda deep. So it would extend into the trunk. The one company recommended a Slot ported box they make. Or a smaller Sealed box.
The frequency response of the stock cd/xm tuner is? I know most aftermarket radios will play 20 to 20k Hz on the CD player.
Escapemax

·
Registered
6 Posts
more subs = more space needed.

dont go too big unless ur trying to drive a car with no trunk... but if thats the case, you shall be bumpin hard... real hard

·
Registered
569 Posts
32 Elemental Designs 6.5" subs :D Come on you know you want to :D

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am thinking about building a sealed box. Both speakers firing up. And have the Amp and Capacitor sit in the middle. Basically 2 boxes. One on each side. Attached to a board. With the Amp/Cap in the middle. Its too cold out now. Probably in the spring. So I have time to figure out what to do.
Thanks
Escapemax

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where did you run your 4 gauge thru the firewall? I tried yesterday to go thru the hood release grommet with NO LUCK...used a wire hanger and the grommet seems big enough but I am not sure that the actual hole that the grommet goes into the firewall is big enough. I have a 2009 LTZ.

I could not get the 4 ga. through the grommet...any suggestions or tricks??????

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had trouble myself. I got it to go in. But didnt want to come out. I managed to get it started. And pulled it through.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an 09 LTZ with the higher end stock system. Unfortunately, I can't put any new audio subs etc in my trunk because of work boxes...What do you recommend I do maybe just put better speakers in the bass sounds good but I don't know it just doesn't sound too crisp and loud when it's turned up...Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I am not mistaken, The factory subs are in the back deck. Possibly replace them with higher power handling speakers. And a small Class D amp with speaker level input.

·
Registered
569 Posts
And a ton of Sound Deadening.. even with the factory subs my back desk rattles like crazy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.