Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
chedked out the new incentives. i was speachless to say listen to these. 2009 malibu 2750 discount or 0% for 60months. but a 2008 left over 2750 off same discount even though the car is a year older but the interest rate defies any human intelligence. you get 3.9% on a 2008. what idiot is going to pay more for a 2008 than a 2009. in any company you want to turn over older inventory before you do newer but not the idiot bean counters at GM. Maybe they should go into chapter 11 then they could restructure all of management and eleiminate some squirrels.

·
Registered
571 Posts
IF you have 08s this late on your lot, the dealer is the one to blame. GM has had bigger incentives on them late in the year when the 09s were rolling onto the lot.

Just because that is how much GM gives you doesnt mean the dealer has to just stick with that. When we bought our 09 there was one 08 on the lot that the dealer was trying to sell us. It was a demo model and they STILL wouldnt come off the price of it. No wonder they still have it on the lot.

·
Registered
422 Posts
IF you have 08s this late on your lot, the dealer is the one to blame. GM has had bigger incentives on them late in the year when the 09s were rolling onto the lot.

Just because that is how much GM gives you doesnt mean the dealer has to just stick with that. When we bought our 09 there was one 08 on the lot that the dealer was trying to sell us. It was a demo model and they STILL wouldnt come off the price of it. No wonder they still have it on the lot.
Exactly true... GM isn't going to offer a bigger rebate for an older car and the financing will be higher because it isn't as new. That's just the name of the game. You would have more room for negotiating the price before discounts and financing with the 08 than the 09 though because the dealer wants to move it, so they wont be as concerned with a profit on it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in any business you try and move old stock before you deliver new stock. there are still 08's out there. you cannot sell an 09 for less or a better deal than an 08 and in the end get rid of old inventory. even chinamart will discount old inventory to move it out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I was looking to buy my Malibu in mid-November, the incentives and pricing made the 2008 no cheaper than the 2009. So I went with the 2009. I didn't think it made any sense at the time, but that's what they were offering. I guess they want to keep the 2009 production lines running and will just let the 2008s be sold off as "used" for no profit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went in to buy an 08 and walked out with an 09 just because I got a better deal and that was was in October 2008. The sales guy was pretty set on selling me the 09.

·
Registered
481 Posts
in any business you try and move old stock before you deliver new stock. there are still 08's out there. you cannot sell an 09 for less or a better deal than an 08 and in the end get rid of old inventory. even chinamart will discount old inventory to move it out.

But this isn't the case with dealers, they order so many models for that year and hope to sell all of them before the next years model comes out. I've seen some dealers stuck with 08's and even 07's that no one was interested in. Do you think the dealers buy these cars on consignment? They have to pay for them from the manufacturer! It all depends on the dealer if they just want to get rid of any remaining last year models at a special deal and since profit margins have been sqeezed pretty hard most dealers won't cut their profit too much just to get rid of last years model.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It's up to the dealers to move the '08s off the lot. It's not GM's problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The leftover 08's will probably become courtesy cars. I think GM has been focussed on offering the big incentives on 09 models, to move factory inventory, which is why the 08s look like they cost more.

·
Registered
481 Posts
You want to cry about the value of your 08 Malibu now! LOL

A dealer in my area that STILL has a few 08 Malibu's has set special pricing on them, at 11,888.00 for PROGRAM cars that's more than HALF of what an 08 was priced, hmm talk about DEPPRECIATION!!! Bob Ridings in Decatur Illinois is who's offering this deal at this time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Note to GM: Stop making so many cars!! The demand isn't there and all it ends up being is a big inventory dump at the end of the year.

A dealer here of many brands of GM cars claims to have a 5 month supply of cars!! GM could shut down for several months and still have inventory.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The GM plant in Kansas city had more than a 300 day supply in December after the shut down. Production is still off work and skilled trades are back in tooling for the new Buick. They cleaned the plant out before the beginning of the year to avoid any property taxes, not a car or single part in that plant right now related to the Malibu.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.