Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! New to the forum, but I've been browsing for a day or two.

I got my Malibu LTZ back on March 31.. So far so good (mostly :)) It's my first GM vehicle, after swearing I'd never buy GM, so I might be a little more critical than the rest of you.

In any case, I was wondering. When you look at Onstar's website, it shows radio displays that look identical to the radio in my '08 Malibu. However, in their pictures of the turn-by-turn navigation, there are arrows displayed for upcoming turns.

My radio doesn't display these arrows. Any reason why? Can the dealer update the Onstar software on my car so that the radio does display the arrows?

I know it seems kinda minor, but I would find them helpful.

Thanks for your input!
Matt

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have turn-by-turn navigation on both my Equinox and Malibu LTZ. The displays are different for some reason. Arrows show on the Equinox but not the Malibu.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Nooooo I always use the arrows on our other cars!! I guess I'm gonna be pressing the repeat button a lot.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Uhhh. on my 09 malibu it doesnt show the arrows or directions... but if you press the little 'i' button on the left side of the display... ta da!! it shows the arrows!

·
Registered
569 Posts
My 09 shows arrows /street name / mileage all that kind of good stuff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our 09 does show everything as well.
The only glitch onstar is working on is that by the time you get to some corners its not giving you the voice command soon enough to turn in a safe manner.

Cheers,

Tony

·
Registered
701 Posts
to crm2019's point, it does show them, however if your actionary points are a far distance apart, the arrows revert to the background and the radio functions come to the fore front. Therefore you occassionally will have to push the "i" button in order to see where you are.

I have used mine quite a bit and find it has all arrows, voice commands, and even estimated distance to your up coming turn.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've noticed that only people with 09's have the arrows visible when they hit the "i" button. I thought I tried it, and it did not work for me :/
Hmm... I may have to run a quick test later on today.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have a 2008 and it does NOT have the arrows :-(

·
Registered
63 Posts
2010 LT1 and mine has always shown the arrows (directional aids in the radio dial when using turn by turn instructions) Exactly as Driven Daily described iin post # 14 below.

Mr. Bill

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,199 Posts
I bought mine in Dec '08. '09 built 7/08. I had OnStar for the free year then canceled. It always showed the arrows, plus a little vertical bar (kinda like a glass) that "drained" as I got closer to the turn. If there was some distance between waypoints the display would revert to radio info until it determined it was time to display directions again, then reduce the radio to background level and speak the next action(s) loud enough to hear comfortably. The only thing I miss now that I use a Garmin (and I mean the ONLY thing!) is the directions coming through the sound system.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
to crm2019's point, it does show them, however if your actionary points are a far distance apart, the arrows revert to the background and the radio functions come to the fore front. Therefore you occassionally will have to push the "i" button in order to see where you are.

I have used mine quite a bit and find it has all arrows, voice commands, and even estimated distance to your up coming turn.
Wow who would have ever guessed that there were two camps like this. I guess it takes a dual chevy owner to figure this out. I am in the DOA and DrivenDaily camp. The radio dims down, and I get a nice bar draining down to 0, saying 300yds, 275 yds... 250yds... up to the turn. I get plenty of warning.

Without the arrows and such, is this the reason why everyone is ditching the turn by turn and saying they dont get the value/point of it? I like it alot, but without the display portion i'd perceive it as useless at best.

I just dont get lost enough to make it worthwhile at this point :-D

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hello! New to the forum, but I've been browsing for a day or two.

I got my Malibu LTZ back on March 31.. So far so good (mostly :)) It's my first GM vehicle, after swearing I'd never buy GM, so I might be a little more critical than the rest of you.

In any case, I was wondering. When you look at Onstar's website, it shows radio displays that look identical to the radio in my '08 Malibu. However, in their pictures of the turn-by-turn navigation, there are arrows displayed for upcoming turns.

My radio doesn't display these arrows. Any reason why? Can the dealer update the Onstar software on my car so that the radio does display the arrows?

I know it seems kinda minor, but I would find them helpful.

Thanks for your input!
Matt

I have a 2010 - got it few days after you got your car. I just went on a long trip this past weekend and I used the turn by turn - but I downloaded the instructions from Mapquest. It really worked great. I had no idea where I was going and the turn by turn got me there perfectly. It did show the arrows and it gives you plenty of time in advance to let you know when to turn. When a turn is coming up, it will tell you about a quarter of a mile away and the name of the street with the arrow telling you which way to turn appears on the radio. Then, when you're within a block of the turn, it will announce again and the exact yards to turn shows up and actually counts down on the display. And I don't have to hit the information button for this to happen.

Since you got the instructions from the Onstar Website, you're seeing their newest version of turn by turn that applies to 2010 cars. My car came with an Onstar Manual. See if you have that manual. It will tell you if the arrows come up on your version of turn by turn.

All I can say is they're constantly updating the On-star hardware / software. It's possible that your version of Onstar doesn't have that feature, but I would give Onstar a call and see what they say. I know turn by turn came out in late 2007, so you probably got the first generation of the turn by turn hardware. I would call On-star first. They could probably give you the best information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.