Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnStar Discount???

14K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Speedster 
#1 ·
I'm sure I'm not the only one to receive this, but I just received an e-mail from OnStar offering a $50 discount on my renewal because I haven't renewed my subscription. I don't have any interest in continuing the subscription, because the car is rarely driven. Just over a year and only 4350 miles. Basically, it's mainly a grocery getter.

Be advised, a discount is available to those who wait before renewing.

#4 ·
Renew OnStar

Howdy all...been a while since I posted. How is every one? How's the family? Tell your mom I said hello.

Anyways, so I'm about to hit my one year mark in April and that mean my free one year trial of OnStar is about to end and I want to renew. Has anyone heard of any discounts or coupon codes to get the price down a little bit? I know there was a post for XM to get the price lower so I figured maybe any of you might have any tricks for OnStar.

#5 ·
Re: Renew OnStar

When the trial period ran out on my Equinox I signed up for the Safe and Sound package for $18.95/month. After one month I called in to ask if they had any promotions and they dropped the rate to $12.95/month. This is without going with a multi year plan.
Pizza Man received an email offering him a $50 discount.

#7 ·
Thanks Pizza

I guess 12.95 isn't too bad. I figured they would be able to give a discount...especially with the way the economy is right now. Saving us a buck is the least they can do. I wanted to see if any of yall got them lower in price.

#9 ·
I just renewed and chose the safe and sound plan for $12.95 a month and ended up with an additional two free months. I told them their discounted price was still too steep, so they countered and said we can give you two additional months free. My free subscription extended from 04/04 to 06/05. I probably could have pushed the issue further but thought this was a pretty fair rate. I use onstar for my roadside assistance instead of AAA.

#11 ·
I also just got the $12.95 per month rate for the safe and sound plan. I received an email saying I had signed up for automatic renewal of the directions and connections plan @ $28.95(I don't remember but I probably did). Since I have only used the directions part twice I didn't see the value in paying for it so I pressed the blue button and told the rep I didn't want to renew. She asked if I wanted the $18.95 safe and sound or to cancel all together. I said some people I know got the safe and sound for $12.95 and would consider it for that price. She connected me with someone else and he said no problem. $12.95 month to month and I can cancel anytime. I canceled my AAA last year so OnStar is my roadside assistance plan.

I also purchased 100 phone minutes at some special price (about $12) when I first got the car. I have about 40 minutes left and they were to expire at the end of next month. I asked the guy if he could extend that a month and he said he would extend them a whole year until 4/10.

It pays to be a member of this forum!

#12 ·
OnStar costs $12.95/month? That sounds really expensive. I think it's neat and all that, but I would be very hard pressed to find the value at that price. Keep in mind, Chevrolet includes 5 years of roadside assistance whether you keep onstar active or not. So if you run out of gas or lock yourself out, you can still call GM and get help at no charge. They just can't unlock your doors electronically - they'd have to send someone out to you.

#13 ·
I personally find $12.95 very worth it.. if I get in a major car crash I want urgent assistance.. I'm also not too fond of having a stolen car with no ability to have it located.

:p

#14 ·
If I understand it correctly, even if you cancel your whole package with Onstar, they are obligated to still have the emergency feature available in the vehicle forever at no charge. So you can still hit the "red" button and get emergency help. Not sure about the vehicle impact auto response feature though....hmmm..have to check on that one.

Cheers,

Tony

#15 ·
You understand incorrectly, young grasshopper! Once your subscription lapses, they send a signal to your vehicle to disable the system. If you press the emergency button, it will play a recording telling you that your subscription is inactive. The only button that will work is the blue button.. and even that only starts a low-priority call to a new account's representative.

They are not obligated to assist you because it is not a traditional "E911" call.. if you don't want to pay for the service you're better off just keeping an inactive mobile in your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.