Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
09 Malibu, 2.4L Engine, 6T40 Transmission, LT Package - Retired Fleet Vehicle
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have acquired an 09 Malibu which I have determined is a retired fleet vehicle. I see that it has OnStar package installed, but I know nothing about the service. I'm rather confused by the appearance of a badge inside the driver door that simply says "Security Solutions" and a serial number beneath. I took a closer look around the car and found that same serial etched into all the glass.

Is this an OnStar thing? That phone number is for a company that offers an OnStar-like service as far as I can tell. Did they rebrand? Has anyone seen this before?

On the subject of OnStar, is there anything I can do with that package, or am I better off just pulling the fuse and leaving it in place?

Cheers

Attachments

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,638 Posts
That's an aftermarket identification project. OnStar has never done that to a vehicle that I've ever heard.

Don't pull the fuse. If the On* module loses power for long enough, its internal battery can die and then, from what I've read here on CMF, it's permanently dead. Keep it powered in case you (or the next owner) ever want to use it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's an aftermarket identification project. OnStar has never done that to a vehicle that I've ever heard.

Don't pull the fuse. If the On* module loses power for long enough, its internal battery can die and then, from what I've read here on CMF, it's permanently dead. Keep it powered in case you (or the next owner) ever want to use it.
Well, woops. I'll go drop that fuse in - thank you for the warning!!

I ran the 800 number again and got a different result! This appears to be the actual company, what I looked at earlier was just an advert / review, I guess. Nation Safe Drivers: NSD Motor Club Services | Nation Safe Drivers

I sent that company an email asking for details as to what / why my car is etched with their number, I await a reply. I wonder if this was done as part of the fleet servicing / ownership in the vehicle's past...?

Anyways, thanks for the heads up on OnStar fuse, and for helping me establish what I was dealing with here. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Back then etching glass was a theft deterrent product sold by dealers to new car customers to get a insurance ''discount''. It means nothing and basically is useless.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It means nothing and basically is useless.
Well then! :ROFLMAO:

Good to know - thank you. I might mention it to my insurer and see if they care at all... No harm either way I guess. Thanks for letting me know -why- this was done, puts me a bit at ease. Still haven't heard anything from the company, I guess it's not their problem anymore.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts