Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone has an opinion on these floor mats?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/08-09-Chevrolet-Malibu-All-Weather-Rubber-Floor-Mats_W0QQitemZ250356226027QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item250356226027&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318#

Those are model specific and not too expensive...I don't want to pay too much, all I need is a basic salt collecting device for the winter, the carpet and oem mats are practically white already.

The other options would be the cheapest weathertech mats : http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvproduct.aspx?ItemGroupId=3&VehId=138&Year=2008

·
Registered
237 Posts
The WeatherTechs look much more able to collect and hold any snow/water.They have a trench around the edges and the ebay ones don't...Could be why they're cheaper.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You can find good floor mats at Wal-Mart for less than half of the price. I got some goodyear ones and though they aren't model specific they fit very well, and I got 4 mats for $35.00. They have edge gutters, and pockets throughout to collect water. With the weather we've had here I've had to empty them once and was amazed at how much water was collected in each mat.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You can find good floor mats at Wal-Mart for less than half of the price. I got some goodyear ones and though they aren't model specific they fit very well, and I got 4 mats for $35.00. They have edge gutters, and pockets throughout to collect water. With the weather we've had here I've had to empty them once and was amazed at how much water was collected in each mat.
The problem is the driver's foot well near the pedals, there's lots of dirt and salt there. I suppose it's where the exact fit matters, cause my feet are there all the time. The idea not to spend hours cleaning the carpet in the spring so less exposed carpet - less work.

The front passenger seat is less of an issue cause people don't stretch the legs to reach pedals and the rear seats I couldn't care less about.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The WeatherTechs look much more able to collect and hold any snow/water.They have a trench around the edges and the ebay ones don't...Could be why they're cheaper.
I think the idea behind the eBay design is that the round holes will keep the water, where as the waethertechs seem to rely on the trenches.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The problem is the driver's foot well near the pedals, there's lots of dirt and salt there. I suppose it's where the exact fit matters, cause my feet are there all the time. The idea not to spend hours cleaning the carpet in the spring so less exposed carpet - less work.

The front passenger seat is less of an issue cause people don't stretch the legs to reach pedals and the rear seats I couldn't care less about.
The fitted ones listed in this thread cover less carpeting than my Wal-Mart mats. What spot are you referring to exactly, on the outside edge of the car near the door or the inside near the center & gas pedal? My mats cover everything behind and to the side of the pedals on the right side, and most of the way towards the door, but not completely... which does annoy me a little bit, but it's just a tiny spot. It also goes as far back as the factory mats.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The fitted ones listed in this thread cover less carpeting than my Wal-Mart mats. What spot are you referring to exactly, on the outside edge of the car near the door or the inside near the center & gas pedal? My mats cover everything behind and to the side of the pedals on the right side, and most of the way towards the door, but not completely... which does annoy me a little bit, but it's just a tiny spot. It also goes as far back as the factory mats.
I am worrying about the center and the pedals more than anything. I just thought that a custom fit will better cover what can be covered. That's my general idea basically. I haven't seen yours so I don't know, maybe they are good too.

Do you have a picture perhaps?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Also, the pockets on the ebay one look very shallow.Like they'd get filled quickly....Keeping in mind,Yury, that you live only about a mile or two from the North Pole,you must deal with some heavy weather.:)

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, the pockets on the ebay one look very shallow.Like they'd get filled quickly....Keeping in mind,Yury, that you live only about a mile or two from the North Pole,you must deal with some heavy weather.:)
That makes sense.

Btw, Toronto not much further north than the northern California :) We do get snow, but it's not consistent year after year, 2 years back we didn't have anything till February, but last winter and this one are are pretty heavy.
Still there are plenty of cities that get way more. Montreal, for instance. As a matter of fact Buffalo and that part of NY gets hit worse usually :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I watched a tour of your area a couple of weeks ago,on SpeedTV.Up into the Quebec and all around the rural areas....Absolutely beautiful cruising country.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eastern Quebec along St. Lawrence is awesome, but you really get to the good parts after driving at least 11 hours from Toronto :)

Toronto area....It's ok at some places I guess, but, in general, absolutely nothing special. Just flat and generic eastern type of landscape :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am worrying about the center and the pedals more than anything. I just thought that a custom fit will better cover what can be covered. That's my general idea basically. I haven't seen yours so I don't know, maybe they are good too.

Do you have a picture perhaps?
These are similar, if not the same. I'm not sure if it's the same pattern or not exactly, as I couldn't find them at walmart.com, but they look pretty close. They were also connected to the packaging with excess rubber, and you can tear that excess rubber easily along a perforated line to remove it. I left some of that extra rubber on to cover more surface area. It isn't molded exactly to the curves of the floor because of it not being fitted, but it's darn close, and covers a lot. I wish I could put somethind down for the kickplate area as it is completely white right now.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Eastern Quebec along St. Lawrence is awesome, but you really get to the good parts after driving at least 11 hours from Toronto :)

Toronto area....It's ok at some places I guess, but, in general, absolutely nothing special. Just flat and generic eastern type of landscape :)
This is very true... I've driven around there and it's quite boring. The drive from Niagra Falls to Detroit was brutal. It was part of a larger leg from Boston to Milwaukee, but that part seemed the longest.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bought mine at Sam's Club. Heavy duty, collect all the snow and salt, big enough to cover under the pedals and only about $25.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These are similar, if not the same. I'm not sure if it's the same pattern or not exactly, as I couldn't find them at walmart.com, but they look pretty close. They were also connected to the packaging with excess rubber, and you can tear that excess rubber easily along a perforated line to remove it. I left some of that extra rubber on to cover more surface area. It isn't molded exactly to the curves of the floor because of it not being fitted, but it's darn close, and covers a lot. I wish I could put somethind down for the kickplate area as it is completely white right now.

hm, interesting, thanks. I will stop by wallmart and look for those or similar and maybe try them.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a lot...I think I will just take my stock mats with me and try to eyeball the ones at walmart or sears for best fit..

·
Registered
438 Posts
It was the 2nd after all. I got them at Wal-Mart, but I guess you can get them at Sams and Sears too, and probably other locations. Here is what they look like installed.

Wow... I didn't realize how dirty it actually is. I've only owned this car for 2.5 weeks. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep the salt/dirt/grime off of the aluminum kickplate? It looks so nice, but it's completely trashed right now from getting out of the car. It's hard to not touch it with my feet because the seats are set too far back behind the pillar so you have to climb out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Go with the Weather tech FLOORLINERS instead. The best you will ever buy. I put them in every vehicle I have. Total coverage in any weather.. You get what you pay for!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.