Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a garmin GPS navigation unit I want to use in my car but I noticed that the dc outlets in our car stay on even when the car is off. In my past car when I would turn the ignition off all devices plugged into the car would turn off and not have any power come to them.

Am I missing something or wouldn't the fact that the Garmin would be still be getting power after I turned off the car make the battery die? I don't want to try this out so I am curious if anyone knows the answer?

Thanks!

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Am I missing something or wouldn't the fact that the Garmin would be still be getting power after I turned off the car make the battery die? I don't want to try this out so I am curious if anyone knows the answer? Thanks!
I don't have my Garmin or my "Bu with me at the moment, but I think when you turn off the ignition, then the Garmin, the Garmin will sense power is still applied and go into a charging mode. Charging the Garmin doesn't draw that much from the car battery to worry about it. Unless the car isn't used for weeks at a time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We cold hope that maybe the made at least one that is tied to the ignition and only on when the car is on. Even my old cig lighter had to have the key on in my old Focus.

It would be nice to have 2 one dead and one live when the ignition is OFF. For different apps.

But you could put in an inline switch to cover all bases. Ive done that before.

·
Registered
73 Posts
When i had my radar detector put in the car I have now I told the installer to find a fuse tht was ONLY on when the ignition switch was turned on. I wanted the detector to come on immediately when I started the car and run all the time. Shut off when I turned the key off.

There are different type of set ups on the fuse block. Some are hot ALL the time, some are hot only with the key turned ON. You can use a hot all the time one if you put a switch inline in either the ground or the hot side. Breaking this circuit turns off whatever you have it running to.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have my Garmin or my "Bu with me at the moment, but I think when you turn off the ignition, then the Garmin, the Garmin will sense power is still applied and go into a charging mode. Charging the Garmin doesn't draw that much from the car battery to worry about it. Unless the car isn't used for weeks at a time.
It does go into charging mode when car is off but I figured it would be a constant drain on the battery and when I woke up to drive to work in the morning my car would be dead. After doing a little research it seems like the size of our car battery is a lot more than the size of the battery in the GPS unit making it seem that even if I left the GPS charge in the car it would take a long time to drain the car battery. Thanks for your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.