Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've have a 2010 Chevy Malibu and never have had any electrical problems or otherwise. Today I took it in to a quick oil change place for oil & filter change and state inspection (Texas). As soon as they changed the oil, they started the engine and said they couldn't do the state inspection because the Check Engine light was on. I was surprised because it has never been on before, much less on 1st crank after an oil change. They said they couldn't tell what it was because their computer only read a code of P0010 and I'd have to research what that code meant or take it to a shop. From researching, I see P0010 and means a bad Camshaft Position Sensor but it seems very strange that it would happen on 1st start after an oil & filter change. I'm wondering, couldn't the 2 things be related ?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,329 Posts
Thread moved from Gen9 section. Yours is a Gen7.

They could have messed with or bumped the wiring or sensor, or it could just be coincidental.

Use the Advanced Search under Tools and find more comments about that. It isn't uncommon for them to fail, but judging from comments from other members they last quite a while.

Depending on your mileage you may be covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty. Call a dealer to find out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Check Engine light stayed off all day Wed. so I took the car back to get it tested for state inspection. The light stayed off but it still couldn't be tested because the P0010 Error code was still in the computer memory. So the guy cleared the error code, but he said it still couldn't be tested until it went through a couple of drive cycles (80-100 miles). So yesterday I took it out on the road to put some miles on. At mile 92, the Check Engine light came on again. So tomorrow I'm going to replace the 2 Camshaft Position Sensors (Intake & Exhaust).

My question is: After I replace them, am I going to have to get someone with a tester to clear the error code again and still drive it another 80-100 miles before it can be tested on the State Inspection tester.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,763 Posts
You can clear the codes by disconnecting the battery and touching the leads together. The car will still have to be driven ~100 miles before the inspection center can connect to the computer and get a passing test reading.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I'm starting to think these VVT solenoid valves are not so much failing, but are rather overly sensitive to carbon build up on their integral screen/filters. I wouldn't be surprised if when you remove the solenoids, you find a build-up of dirt and carbon on the screens. It only take a few minutes to remove them [one bolt], and you could try cleaning them. Doesn't cost anything.

It is possible that when draining/changing the engine oil, some dirt/carbon has shifted or moved and made its way to the VVT valves. I'd be interested to see the condition of the old parts you remove.

On some forum, maybe this one, I found pictures of one of these valves that had a large insect stuck to the inlet screen. How does an insect get through the oil system and to that valve?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 Malibu LT, which I just had my oil changed at the dealership this morning, and now tonight my check engine light came on. I had it tested at Auto Zone and the P0010 code came on: Intake (A) Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit/Open Bank 1. Now the history is a year ago, I had the timing chain replaced at the local dealership. In early December, the check engine came on while on a trip to Chicago and had to get the throttle body replaced in Chicago dealership shop. Now this light has come on with this P00010 code after my oil change and I am not sure what to think after reading about the others whose light came on for this after oil change. I won't know until the dealership tells me, but I am hoping for some advice here or your thoughts? I can't afford much more on repairs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts