Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
Hello all I have a 2012 chevy Malibu
Last week I got the p0013 code, after reading all the related posts here and watched some YouTube videos it seems to be that the Exhaust vvt solenoid is the issue. Bought the replacement part (Dorman), disconnected battery and followed the steps to replace it. Put everything back together. (While I was doing this noticed that the grey clip lock was missing from them im not sure if that makes a difference) The part I bought came with a card suggesting that I change the oil and filter when changing the part, so I did just that went to Valvoline changed the oil with full synthetic and while I was there did the other included tests to check battery, alternator, oil pressure, etc. all was well. Today check engine light returned when starting up car to leave work but this time the codes were p0013 and a c0899 for the abs monitor malfunction/low voltage. I’m stumped now I’ve checked wiring harness and to my naked eye I don’t see any breaks or corrosion and I had my valve cover gasket changed a few months ago and checked the timing chain then and all was well.

#2 ·
You may not like hearing this, but 2 things you may end up having to do are:
  1. Replace the Dorman part with an OEM part, and
  2. Replace all of the VVT solenoids at the same time. It is generally recommended that both be done because if one has failed, then the other may not be far behind. And since it requires changing the oil, it seems logical to do both at once rather than one at a time.

#3 ·
Thanks for your help I think the problem I’m having may actually be with the connector itself. went over to my uncles house to use his multi meter and we tested the intake and exhaust solenoids and the resistance was in spec, but noticed one of the wires going into the connector was bent up pretty good but the plastic coating was still in tact. We straightened the wires out and electrical taped around them, made sure the connector was snug. We also traced the wires back to the pcm and noticed that the one of the main connectors to the pcm was loose and the locking lever was not pushed down all the way so we snugged all that up too. To my surprise went to start the car back up and the check engine light went out on its own without any code clearing or disconnecting battery. Fingers crossed this was the issue and light stays off but I will post another update if the light returns or if after a good bit of driving the light doesn’t return.

#4 ·
Wow, that was a nice save! Hopefully, fixing the terminal and tightening the connector does the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.