Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Yeah, as you pointed out it really makes me scratch my head. I've been checking all over for any accidents or re-painted, or anything suspicious stuff. NONE. The only thing I found was that Engine oil was too much in it. and that engine oil and GM original filter were totally new. Supposed to have 4.7 liters. but it had over 6 liters in it. I had to pump out 1.5 liters. and drove a little bit. and changed the oil and filter with full synthetic. Other than that, I found ex-owner changed all 4 wheel bearings, 4 new rotors, pads. Even a brand new battery too. and Engine coolant looks very clean. so I think they changed that too. ;) So, I think the ex-owner spends a lot of money to keep this car for his wife. but mechanic's mistake on too much engine oil destroyed the engine somehow.

So, now I just ordered a "cylinder compression test gauge kit" to find #1 Cylinder dead top center. ;) It might come in on Thursday. so I might try to check the "Chain guides and Chain tension" again on Friday or so.

Oh, Break pedal, Throttle pedal looks clean too. and also, I found a CD inside of the radio that "Musics for the pregnant lady". I don't know if it will help or not. but I let you know too. ;)

So, as I'm guessing as an amateur "Garage Rambo", that too much oil increased pressure or something happened and maybe made to chain JUMPED.?! ;)
Attaching some pictures of this car to show how clean it is.

The top chain guide was very clean. the chain didn't show any slack last week.

And again, Thanks a million to helping me this mysterious headache. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
All 4 wheel bearings? A bit unusual at this age/mileage as are the rotors (unless it had the break wheel pull more common with the hhr).

I had a Chevy overfill by GM (freeble oil change, though they rounded off my drain bolt as well by over torquing.it.

Excess oil foams and losses lubrication, unlikely to cause your problems (and that assumes your crankcase can't handle the extra 1 1/2:qts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wow, GM mechanic was bad to you too. all 4 wheel bearing would have been a precautionary replacement for his wife, I bet. ;)

Just one question left for me for this challenge though.

If I have to open the sidewall of the engine for timing chain align, Should I drain the engine oil too? I think I do. but I can't find anywhere to verify it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It depends on if you get the oil dirty. You should be able to open the side cover without disturbing the oil in the pan.

Given your previous sludge, I would seafood it and replace the oil post timing chain fix.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So, engine oil wouldn't leak out even if I open the sidewall of the engine? That is only my question. I will get the seafoam and change oil too. but I was wondering if I have to drain the oil first or not.

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
I keep seeing you refer to the "sidewall" of the engine. Do you mean the timing chain cover?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 5 qts of oil should be in the pan, less some in the filter if the car has been off for a few minutes (unless you really have an unusual timing chain cover).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I just tried to re-align the Timing chain today.

The good news is "I didn't destroy the engine." ;) and Bad news is, "Yes, Right-hand side plastic chain guide (Black color) is completely disappeared." and I found one of the bolts is kind of worn out. and I disassembled the old Chain tensioner. and I found O-ring was totally broken. (just crumbled off) and spring strength was about half of the new one.

I turned Crankshaft with the wrench and find the Top dead center. and try to keep Exh cam to 10 o'clock, Int cam to 2 o'clock setting and Both cams not opening the Valves. Although, the chain is not aligned with the diamond marks on the cams. (but I count the each link to make sure it aligned what it supposed to be.) and I put them all back and start the engine. Engine idle was back to normal at the beginning which fixed the problem for me.

But now, I do know the Plastic chain guide is totally disappeared. So, I have to do the whole Timing chain replace work done. ;(

Thank you, everyone.

Joe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I forgot to mention one thing about Full synthetic oil. since I've used the full synthetic oil, it cleaned Valve cover and camshaft area super clean itself. ;) I used a solvent to clean with the brush before but I could clean only so much. but now it almost looks like new. ;) What a surprise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I got the parts yesterday. so I'm middle of changing the timing chain guide. but Timing cover doesn't want to come out. I took all 10 bolts out and 1 bolt for water pump (?) bolt too. and trying to pry out the cover but look-alike totally glued to it. Would you have any idea about it? Thank you for your help in advance. (2010 Malibu 2.4 LS. 96000 Km on it.) I'm totally stuck right now. ;(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Okay, I got it all and Finally, it is all fixed. All I have to do is just put all the parts back on. ;) Yes, that timing chain guide was the culprit and look at the pictures. And that is all I have salvaged. Should I open the OIL PAN to clean them all out?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Around $70 in total cost me to do this hell of a job. GM dealer asked $3000. but I challenged and with your awesome help, I did it. Thank you all. Although I don't want to do it ever again, I feel much better now. ;) ;) ;) Thank you again.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
Awesome that you did it and it works. I hope it delivers many more happy kilometres for you!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts