Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Malibu LT. 2 weeks ago had the p0299 code and loss of power happen. Ended up replacing the CAC. 2 weeks, to the day after, it happened again. I live in Minnesota and can't avoid the tundra temperatures right now. The dealer got everything dried out the second time. Said they've had other people with the same issue these last couple weeks. The only fix they could come up with, to help me not to keep having a problem, is cardboard zip tied to my grill around my license plate and below it. I asked about letting it warm up longer, parking in a garage (not heated) and they said those won't make a difference because it's a design flaw. When I picked it up today, they said they are hoping that they come up with the leather piece, like on many pick ups, that cover the grill. I'm debating getting a bra to cover the cardboard because it is pretty ugly looking. Anyone figure out any fix so it doesn't keep happening? I've only had the car for 2 years, and I do not want to be covering the front end in cardboard every winter.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,462 Posts
CAC breathes outside air, which has at least some humidity even when in the dead of winter's cold. When it's cooled inside the CAC, the water precipitates out. Cold water on the inside and outside air super-cooling the CAC will turn the water to ice, which chokes the engine.

No matter if there was some kind of special "no sweat" coating on the inside, air will still follow the laws of physics and the water will condense out when cooled, or in this case, chilled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this happen in November 2020. In my case it was caused by driving through deep snow and packing so much snow into the front that couldn't melt. They replaced the charge air cooler with the new design and hasn't happened in 3 months. I tested by driving through the deepest snow I could and totally better now.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,898 Posts
I had this happen in November 2020. In my case it was caused by driving through deep snow and packing so much snow into the front that couldn't melt. They replaced the charge air cooler with the new design and hasn't happened in 3 months. I tested by driving through the deepest snow I could and totally better now.
That what I was wondering in my question to the other owner above. The bulletin I linked in post 5 indicates there is a new part with updated design as of March 2020 but no one here has reported trying it yet. Glad it know it seems to be working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That what I was wondering in my question to the other owner above. The bulletin I linked in post 5 indicates there is a new part with updated design as of March 2020 but no one here has reported trying it yet. Glad it know it seems to be working.
Interesting that it seemed to work as of November 2020 in one situation, but for AmyJ, in post #21, it was replaced two weeks ago (so assuming end of January/early February of 2021) and has not had any luck with it.

I would not have been opposed to having it replaced if I could have some sort of warranty that it will solve the issue. Seems like a waste of money if the CAC is replaced, then continues to cause issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,898 Posts
Interesting that it seemed to work as of November 2020 in one situation, but for AmyJ, in post #21, it was replaced two weeks ago (so assuming end of January/early February of 2021) and has not had any luck with it.
That's actually why I asked AmyJ what part number was used. Techs don't always check the most recent bulletin version and use a part already in stock which could be old. Unfortunately, this thread is infested with 1 post users (9 in a two page thread) that never respond or update their experiences. It's only been 3 days since AmyJ posted, perhaps she'll return. Gopher is the first to actually confirm installing the new part and report the problem was resolved - at least for a few snowy cold months.

Reactions: JasonUP

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am joining the fray. Purchased a 2016 LT in September from the kids of a little old man who drove it to church on Sundays. Just passed 30,000 and had the engine light came on as I was coming home from work (with the characteristic loss of power) and i had the code read at Auto Zone: P0299, of course. It hasn't been above 10 for 10 days, and my garage has also struggled to stay over 22. Will the light go off when it warms up and the ice melts? If the light goes off is the situation rectified? I could heat the garage more by opening some doors and/or using a space heater.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Design flaw - My review I just posted for the crappy dealership here:

Horrible service experience.

2017 Malibu throws code P0299 and engine de-rates during extremely cold weather. Take it to Mills - they say I need to replace the CAC (charge air cooler). $1,100 with the newer design (fully at my expense). They replace the cooler. We pick up the car and 8 MILES LATER does the same code and de-rate while entering 70mph traffic with my son driving alone on Friday night.

Dealership can’t do anything until Monday... Frustrated, I look up the issue online (should have done this prior to going to the dealership).

This is a common issue with the Malibu and it seems there is no good fix. Dealership then kept the vehicle for two more days - UNTIL IT WARMED UP.. Now they just say “It’s not doing it now”. They refuse to admit the CAC replacement was not needed and will not even try to be honest about the issue even after I sent them the above link to read.

I’m out $1,100 for what was obviously not a fix and I have a car that has a safety issue in extremely cold weather.

Awesome.

·
Super Moderator
3,898 Posts
@Fstduc Thanks for sharing (bummer about the cost of course). Sixth winter's the charm on this one. This forum saw about a half-dozen reports of P0299 over 5 years now 7 reports in the last couple months. Mixed results on the new CAC too. Anyway, Burrrrr!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Po299 won’t go away

I hade the same code at 57000 miles on My 2.0 Turbo . now i'm getting an overboost code and the dealer cant seem to figure that out. I think the wastgate in the new turbo is bad.
Anyone else have a mechanic say anything about the wastgate? I brought my 2018 Chevy Malibu in because of the power reduced and P0299 code. (Living in Midwest minnesota.) They tell me they don’t see anything wrong with the turbo so they think the throttle body is the problem. So they put in the new throttle body and it’s driving fine for about 2 days. Then it does it again. We bring it in again and they say they’ll diagnose for free since it didn’t fix the problem. This time they say they think the wastgate is the problem and they say it’s a 1500 dollar fix. Of course the 60000 mile power train warranty would cover this, but were at 62k.
I showed him this service bulletin and he says he doesn’t see anything wrong with it or any condensation build up.
My question is will this new wastgate fix this problem, or do I just try to let it be. And if this problem happens when it’s cold, does that mean the check engine light will go away when it warms up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Took the car in yesterday for the P0299 code. Runs/Drivers fine under 55 mph. Over that, it shakes and will not accelerate like it should. Dealer said they had another Malibu come in the same day for the same reason, not sure of the year on that one.

Bought in December certified with 67k miles. Warranty is covering it all. Hate that the issue it there but glad it's happening under warranty. We've had sub 10 degree nights here in Ohio for about a week so that's probably what did it. Dealer said the part would be in Tuesday but would update me if sooner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone else have a mechanic say anything about the wastgate? I brought my 2018 Chevy Malibu in because of the power reduced and P0299 code. (Living in Midwest minnesota.) They tell me they don’t see anything wrong with the turbo so they think the throttle body is the problem. So they put in the new throttle body and it’s driving fine for about 2 days. Then it does it again. We bring it in again and they say they’ll diagnose for free since it didn’t fix the problem. This time they say they think the wastgate is the problem and they say it’s a 1500 dollar fix. Of course the 60000 mile power train warranty would cover this, but were at 62k.
I showed him this service bulletin and he says he doesn’t see anything wrong with it or any condensation build up.
My question is will this new wastgate fix this problem, or do I just try to let it be. And if this problem happens when it’s cold, does that mean the check engine light will go away when it warms up?
Mine stayed on for the time being. I'm sure once I get it back tomorrow they would have cleared it. It didn't happen nearly as bad the day it went to the dealership but still noticeable. I would assume it would turn off by itself when it warms up. If not, see if Autozone can clear the code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update: so every time this has happened was in the cold weather, and now that it’s back to above 0 where we are, the car hasn’t had issues at all. Super annoying but I’m glad we can drive the car for the time being without paying for anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2017 malibu.

was 0 out this morning. let car warm up before leaving home about 10 minutes.

drove about 20 miles and went into low power mode.

got home scanned it and P0299 code.

why would it come on after 20 miles of driving when engine was up to temp?
anyone have luck with a fix to this issue yet?

·
Super Moderator
3,898 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
This the season for this to make its annual forum appearance. GM still has the original bulletin with the de-icing and possible replacement of the charge air cooler. The replacement didn't seem too effective so I'm glad they've moved to another possible cause.

Two bulletins, one with P0299/P2227 and another with just P0299.
P0299/P2227: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10191190-9999.pdf
P0299: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204448-999.pdf
Are you referring to the replacement CNC not being effective?

Also, am I reading the bulletin right? If you want to remove the Solenoid, you need to thaw, then change oil??

·
Super Moderator
3,898 Posts
Are you referring to the replacement CNC not being effective?

Also, am I reading the bulletin right? If you want to remove the Solenoid, you need to thaw, then change oil??
I have read of several owners having the charge air cooler replaced then having the same problem. It's been a stubborn issue for a few years. The forum doesn't see too many reports of it but every winter there are a few. I believe there was another report of P0299 this winter and that owner just let the car warm, problem went away, and hasn't been back.

The first bulletin that includes the thaw and drain does include an oil change. You also have to remove the turbo pressure boost sensor for ice buildup.

The second newer bulletin is for buildup and obstruction in the Turbocharger Wastegate Regulator Solenoid Valve.

There is another new bulletin where they install a cover and do an ECM update. I would be hesitant about the ECM update since it blocks higher gears during warmup in certain temps. The cover and ECM update are basically for those that drive around in sub zero temps and 8" deep snow. I couldn't link it above because it isn't on the NHTSA site yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have read of several owners having the charge air cooler replaced then having the same problem. It's been a stubborn issue for a few years. The forum doesn't see too many reports of it but every winter there are a few. I believe there was another report of P0299 this winter and that owner just let the car warm, problem went away, and hasn't been back.

The first bulletin that includes the thaw and drain does include an oil change. You also have to remove the turbo pressure boost sensor for ice buildup.

The second newer bulletin is for buildup and obstruction in the Turbocharger Wastegate Regulator Solenoid Valve.

There is another new bulletin where they install a cover and do an ECM update. I would be hesitant about the ECM update since it blocks higher gears during warmup in certain temps. The cover and ECM update are basically for those that drive around in sub zero temps and 8" deep snow. I couldn't link it above because it isn't on the NHTSA site yet.
Gotcha. Thanks for the reply.

I am going to just let it warm up in the garage and try it later. Just changed oil last week so dont want to do that again if i dont have too

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks for the reply.

I am going to just let it warm up in the garage and try it later. Just changed oil last week so dont want to do that again if i dont have too
Been experiencing the same problems.
What I have done Is pulled off the CAC in February 2021 and again in February 2022 and both times approx 1 L of water came out of the cooler after defrosting.
Unfortunately It looking like it’s gonna freeze up every year in the winter.
I’m not sure if there’s a solution yet? But I’m hoping there will be some sort of upgrade or fix to these CAC

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Grille Fender

21 - 40 of 48 Posts