Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,898 Posts
Been experiencing the same problems.
What I have done Is pulled off the CAC in February 2021 and again in February 2022 and both times approx 1 L of water came out of the cooler after defrosting.
Unfortunately It looking like it’s gonna freeze up every year in the winter.
I’m not sure if there’s a solution yet? But I’m hoping there will be some sort of upgrade or fix to these CAC

View attachment 72055
They did release a redesigned charge air cooler but it didn't seem to fix the problem for those that experience it. I wouldnt pay for it as it is probably waste of money. Why the freeze up happens to some and not most no one knows.

·
Super Moderator
3,898 Posts
Good find @repairman54! That's the bulletin I referenced back in post 38 but I couldn't find it posted publicly anywhere. If afflicted with this issue, I would definitely consider the cover but the ECM update, uh no thanks. Imagine those cheeky engineers sitting around "Oh you don't like the freezing up? How about we force you to drive around in 3rd to heat up the car faster? You like that?"

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
The optional Canadian winter cover shown at the bottom of the article may be a northern climate standard accessory.
That site is a tremendous resource for late model vehicles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
'18 Malibu Premier, 60k miles. I'm in lower NY and I first encountered this when I opened throttle on a particular on ramp to a highway near by. Temperatures here have not been below freezing maybe since December. However, I can imagine possible water in the CAC.
An event, is there a write up or walkthrough how I can get to the CAC? I know where it's located but I'd like to research more on the process of reaching it before I took apart the whole front.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,898 Posts
There are bulletins in post 36 and a techlink article further in with an update cover. The bulletins have diagrams of what you are looking for but if you need step by step you'll need a service manual or alldatadiy subscription for in depth detail.

That aside, I don't like ice or water causing P0299 on your car this time of year. It's possible but would be the first case of it. Underboost has many causes - loose duct at the throttle body is common. Airbox not being tight can cause it. As can problems with the turbo itself but that hasn't been common. It could even been the boost sensor. So many possibilities that need more diagnosis.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are bulletins in post 36 and a techlink article further in with an update cover. The bulletins have diagrams of what you are looking for but if you need step by step you'll need a service manual or alldatadiy subscription for in depth detail.

That aside, I don't like ice or water causing P0299 on your car this time of year. It's possible but would be the first case of it. Underboost has many causes - loose duct at the throttle body is common. Airbox not being tight can cause it. As can problems with the turbo itself but that hasn't been common. It could even been the boost sensor. So many possibilities that need more diagnosis.
Yes I have an AllDataDIY subscription. Have yet to find details on how to get to the CAC on it.

I have to agree. This time of year does not fit. From my research the only thing that I can find to cause P0299 is ice/water build up. This is the first I have come across with the code. It is not everyday the car goes WOT either so if there is an issue, who knows how longer it could have been there. Appears this only happens with a WOT. Have any other ideas of things I can check?

History that may/may not help.
Trifecta Tune, no other mods.
Kept up to date with maintenance going by the GM schedule.
Just last month I had spark plugs changed, oil and tire rotation. Oil catch can was emptied.
No other check engine light codes or issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,898 Posts
In alldatadiy the procedure is under intercooler. Mine has detailed steps with pictures. I have the "new" version.

I doubt it is related to the tune in this case. But, for isolation I'd revert to the stock calibration until the issue is corrected. You have to make sure everything is sealed from top of airbox all the way to throttle body.

Did this start occuring before the spark plug change and catch can empty or after?

41 - 48 of 48 Posts