Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, I'm relatively experienced mechanic (shadetree), I've pulled engines, opened transmissions, fixed dozens of cars etc.. I'm not bragging, just saying it that it's likely not something as simple as "replace the solenoids", this one has me stumped.

I get infrequent P0341, when it occurs car runs perfectly fine, still gets 30ish mpg, no issues... I highly suspect there's nothing wrong with timing at all.

1) I've replaced both VVT solenoids, did not help. Now MAYBE I got a bad one again? seems unlikely.
2) I went to a junkyard and bought wiring pigtails for both intake/exhaust VVT solenoids, I put those on mine using 3-4' of wiring at least to replace as much as I can from mine (my harness plastic sheathing has deteriorated a bit so I suspected that may have been the case and my original plugs were oil soaked..) , this also didn't help
3) the engine has 250,000 miles, I bought the car with 0 miles and would like to see it get to 500k, it's just what I do, probably a mental issue I have... because of the mileage I did a timing chain replacement, all new guides etc... surprisingly the OEM wasn't all that worn out, but it was a possibility for this P0341, this also didn't help...
4) I've read about the shitty harnesses that GM put in these things which corrode, I've replugged the BCM and PCM connectors, any others to try?

car will not pass inspection because of this dumb ass issue and I'm out of ideas. I have watched videos of dealers techs using scan tools to watch for actuation of the solenoids etc.. but I don't have 5 grand to spend on a scan tool :)

So... ideas? anything? bueller? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I'm going to order a new solenoid again just so I don't doubt the brand new ones I guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
now I'm scratching my head, I feel to recall I used to get P0013 and now it's that P0341, both seem to relate to same part... but maybe I'm just making that up in my head, I've been dealing with this for months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm talking to myself here... but it seems this may actually relate to the camshaft position sensor not the VVT solenoid (althoug there's a lot of misleading info about this), what is more confusing if you don't know ecotecs is that there are TWO of these! it's a $11 part which is great, one is in your face above the oil filter sort of, but I guess it makes sense there would be one in the back as well... I'm going to try that next... would rather throw parts at this now vs. buying a real scan tool :)

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
I just came by. I hope you get it fixed for cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.