Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Chevy Malibu with 176,000 miles ( I know, I know it’s a LOT, but I have used this care 4 years straight and traveled all over the country for work). It ran a P06DE code when the check engine light came on. I scheduled the next day to get it looked at, and the check engine light shut off on its own. Still I took it to the dealership and had the oil pressure control solenoid changed. They told me I could be looking at having to buy a new engine soon. I’m getting really nervous as I’m seeing that this code causes all kinds of problems with your vehicle. Do you think it’s time to trade in and run? I still owe on it so I’m pretty much guaranteed a loss either way..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is it a 1.5 or 2.0 liter engine? Dealers are pros at the scare tactics so I wouldn’t lose hope just yet. If they have already changed the solenoid I would see if the engine light comes back on. Your car might just be patient 0 for this code beings how it’s a 2018. My 2016 1.5 allows me to view oil pressure on the readout screen on your dash that normally might display mpg. I select the vehicle tab and scroll through the info; it lists oil pressure along with coolant temp, battery voltage, etc. I’ve never witnessed the oil pressure below 29psi at hot idle in gear, and above 65psi under high load at full throttle. Therese numbers were at operating temp. Oil pressure in these is always fluctuating based on demand from engine load.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it a 1.5 or 2.0 liter engine? Dealers are pros at the scare tactics so I wouldn’t lose hope just yet. If they have already changed the solenoid I would see if the engine light comes back on. Your car might just be patient 0 for this code beings how it’s a 2018. My 2016 1.5 allows me to view oil pressure on the readout screen on your dash that normally might display mpg. I select the vehicle tab and scroll through the info; it lists oil pressure along with coolant temp, battery voltage, etc. I’ve never witnessed the oil pressure below 29psi at hot idle in gear, and above 65psi under high load at full throttle. Therese numbers were at operating temp. Oil pressure in these is always fluctuating based on demand from engine load.
It’s a 1.5 liter engine. I’ve been watching the oil pressure and hadn’t seen it go below 32 psi at idle. When the check engine light was on prior to the repair I didn’t notice anything different either. The car seemed to be running fine. So I’m hoping changing the solenoid really fixes the check engine light issue. I went down the rabbit hole reading all the things that can go wrong with that code, and it’s been stressing me into thinking I need to trade in which I would rather not do. My malibu has been running so good for me. And of course the dealership telling me my engine was going to fail scared me very bad

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,042 Posts
You could ask them, "Wow, that sounds bad! What leads you to conclude such a serious repair? Did you notice something while it was in your care, or is this possibly something you see on a relatively regular basis?" That should be fairly non-confrontational and help you get the kind of information you need to understand their statement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts