Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have a 2017 Malibu ls that keeps throwing P1101 and P2097 not sure what could be the cause i was hoping someone on here could be very helpful with these issues.. 81k on the car...... Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,407 Posts
Please update per the rules.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2017 Chevy Malibu 1.5 engine 81k on the car. I keep getting P1101 and P2097 took it to the dealer and said nothing was wrong am I missing something here?

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,407 Posts
P1101 is a MAF sensor malfunction and P2097 shows your engine is running rich. The two issues are probably related.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could this be a result of carbon build-up? I changed my plugs at 62k and they were yucky im going to look for them and post a photo. How hard is it to have the carbon cleaned out if thats the issue?

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,407 Posts
Typically you have to go pay for a walnut shell blasting procedure to clean out the carbon thoroughly if that is the problem. Depending on the shop, that's $300-500.

GM dealership procedure seems to be doing an intensive top engine cleaner spray process despite telling people not to do that themselves. That requires spraying a product like CRC or Seafoam brand top engine cleaner spray directly into the throttle body while someone holds the revs around 2000 rpm. It may take two treatments to make a difference.

Reactions: campb292

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you I may need to find another shop because I've been there 3 times with no answer to a fix they also tried to charge me 1600$ for the rear knuckles to be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,407 Posts
It can be hard to find a trustworthy shop, ask around to your friends and family, especially if any of them are car guys, they will know who to go to.

Reactions: campb292

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks man I sure will after looking at several posts on this forum it sounds like the valve cover might be plugged. After this heavy thunderstorm passes I'll take a few photos

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,133 Posts
Thanks man I sure will after looking at several posts on this forum it sounds like the valve cover might be plugged. After this heavy thunderstorm passes I'll take a few photos
That would be the PCV orifice inside the camshaft cover. P1101 is the code that one throws per bulletin. Unfortunately, P1101 can be a lot of things. As can P2097. I don't usually lean toward carbon buildup on the valves as a fix since it hasn't translated from hypothesis to solution yet in gen9. But... this is the best candidate I have seen for carbon cleaning considering that code combo. Google "intake carbon cleaning service" and your nearest large city. You will get results for a lot of different services saying "intake valve carbon clean" "carbon cleaning" "fuel system service" "Fuel injection service" etc. You have to look at what the service provides. You do not want something dumped in the tank. You want to see references to Direct Injection, GDI, TDI and carbon removal from intake valves. You can narrow down by google review rating and friends and family recommendations if possible. The best shop for intake valve cleaning around me specializes in Euro cars and will do some modern domestics.

I am surprised the dealer said nothing was wrong with active codes. It seems like you are the prime customer. Or... they know this one is hit or miss. If I was dealing with those two codes, I would work in this order:

1) Clean throttle body
2) Intake valve carbon cleaning
3) Camshaft cover removal for unclogging or replacement per bulletin

BTW, are you getting symptoms other than the codes? Rough idle, really low mpg, sluggish acceleration?

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CampB thank you for your response and I will do some checking around im in WV where there is a few Chevy dealers close by as the temperature got warmer the rough idle has somewhat gone away I live in town so the mpg is around 26 in town I have seen a decrease in acceleration especially 1st thru 3rd gears. The dealer charged me 179$ each of the first 2 times this last time it was free they sent me on my way only for the codes to return in maybe 2 miles. I do have oil on the top of the cover where the cap goes and im sure when I change it I don't spill it could that be a more serious problem? Thanks again Campb and CP.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,133 Posts
I do have oil on the top of the cover where the cap goes and im sure when I change it I don't spill it could that be a more serious problem?
Need clarity on that. On top of the black appearance cover or under the appearance cover/above the camshaft/valve cover? Around the spark plugs?

Also, did the dealer do anything for the $179 as far as diagnostic? Did they check for excessive positive crankcase pressure?

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes the top black cover appearance right around the oil cap and they cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body the first 2 times the 3rd time all I believe they did was clear codes send me on my way. I think I need to go somewhere else to have it looked at. Soon as the rain here stops I'll post a picture of the top cover.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,133 Posts
That would make me think:

A) Sloppy oil change run off or cap not tight. But since you do your own...
B) Excessive crankcase pressure
C) Bad seal gasket on the cap or cover

Have you looked at the rear and sides to see if any oil is leaking elsewhere?

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll take a closer look and see. Would excessive crankcase pressure make a squeaky sound at times during idle? Kinda sounds like a belt or a pulley only real problem I've had with this car was the vacuum pump part #(1268-4050)

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its funny the dealership didn't hear anything when I was there makes me think they are just money hungry.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,133 Posts
I'll take a closer look and see. Would excessive crankcase pressure make a squeaky sound at times during idle? Kinda sounds like a belt or a pulley only real problem I've had with this car was the vacuum pump part #(1268-4050)
Possible. Excessive crankcase pressure usually a comes from the clogged PCV orifice in the camshaft cover or more rare but worse - bad piston ring(s). There are about a dozen forum owners that have had the pcv clog. I haven't read a mention of a squeak or squeal when it occurs in the 1.5. However, the hybrid 1.8 can get a similar issue and they frequently report a squeak sound.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts