Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Alright CampB this Malibu was built in late 2016 would this be a piston ring problem just now showing its ugly head? I'm not sure if this car had the LSPI update or not.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,127 Posts
I don't lean toward pistons based on these codes. It's possible, but symptoms arent all there. You probably have the ECM update, that would flag in history at the dealer if not done. You usually see P0300 and idle would be terrible with cracks. Clogged PCV orifice in the camshaft cover seems most likely. Carbon on intake valves is also still possible.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My man CampB thank you. By chance what causes the PCV clogged orifice? Is it regular gas or something else? This was a used car I got it with 48k in early 19.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,127 Posts
It's been a problem since PCV systems existed. When you Google pcv clogs, you find everything from 1988 Topaz to 2018 Corvette. Engineers just made it more punishing by integration of pcv orifice into the camshaft cover since it isn't as easy as releasing a hose and replacing a $6 valve. Some engines are more susceptible than others. I'm not really sure of the causes but long oil change intervals, sludge, short cold engine drive cycles seem to make it worse.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thank you I have lately been doing a lot of stop and go with mom dukes' I'd say the 4 months or so.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,227 Posts
One thing you might try when you hear that squeaky sound is to remove the oil dipstick and see if the sound goes away. Put it back in and see if it comes back. If it does, take a video so you can show the dealership.

A picture is worth a thousand words!

·
Registered
70 Posts
2017 Chevy Malibu 1.5 engine 81k on the car. I keep getting P1101 and P2097 took it to the dealer and said nothing was wrong am I missing something here?
If you are handy -- remove the MAF sensor plug and the two screws and remove/inspect the MAF. A dirty or defective sensor would throw those codes. Buy a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner and liberaly clean the sensor, then reassemble.

I assume you replaced the air filter at some earlier point in time. If not, do so now. Any chance you have a K&N filter (which would explain the codes)?

It is likely that your plugs were dirty (like black soot but not gummy) due to it running rich.

The PCV enters the intake post MAF and it should not affect the sensor (though would foul the plugs).

I understand you had the MAF cleaned before, though sometimes people use compressed air to do so, which does not really give it a good cleaning. It can damage the sensor if the pressure is too high.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hey all I've got an update today on my Malibu soon as I pulled in to the garage the guy told me that it was the valve cover and front crankshaft seal. He said he has 2 cars already in for the same thing I wouldn't be able to get it serviced until mid next week he also told me that they will do a full check on ther things like compression test and check for hidden oil leaks.... I hope this helps out anyone who has this problem pop up on them thanks to you guys on here pointing me in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,386 Posts
Did you find a picture of your gunky spark plugs? That's certainly worth following up on.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,127 Posts
Hey all I've got an update today on my Malibu soon as I pulled in to the garage the guy told me that it was the valve cover and front crankshaft seal.
Most of the P1101 have been the plugged orifice in the valve cover. Pressure builds up so bad it blows out front or real seal. Thanks for the update and please let us know the outcome. Also curious what the out of pocket is.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yes thats what the guy told me I do have b2b but not sure how much is out of pocket for the total job as he says its about 4-5 hrs job i know my service contract says I only have to pay a $100 deductible but we shall see i sure will update you guys.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I need to correct myself i don't have full b2b it expired at 77k they gave me a limited B2b until 100k.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,127 Posts
I hope it gets covered well, long job. Thanks again for the update!

·
Registered
2017 Malibu 1.5
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
No problem buddy and Thank you again.

If anyone has a slight squealing sound at full temperature especially at idle get it looked at it may not throw the check engine light until it completely blows out the front crankshaft seal.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts