Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2016 LS 1.5L Turbo metal black
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this code since pretty much a year and a half ago and it makes me go nuts!
According to what I saw online, replacing the Mass Air Flow sensor won’t fix the code at all and this is a fact since I’ve visited the mechanic and he replaced it, but the code is still here..

What should I do to make it disappear? I’m really scared of touching the throttle body since it could lead to a damage so I don’t have any idea on what to do right now.. currently I can feel some unusual vibration from the engine so I need to fix it!

thanks I’m advance:)

· Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,577 Posts
The cause of P1101 on this car is nearly always 1) filter or airbox tightness, 2) dirty throttle body, 3) oil sludge blockage in the camshaft cover PCV orifice from relaxed maintenance intervals or oil quality. There is one time I believe someone reported the MAF replacement actually fixed it. Dirty throttle body seems the most common.

I understand not wanting to touch the throttle body but it is pretty easy on this vehicle. No coolant involved on this one. Just an electrical connector and 4 bolts. You usually should replace the gasket though if taking it out for cleaning. A tech can do this if you are unsure personally. I'd rule out the intake path and throttle body before moving to testing crank pressures for the PCV orifice blockage since that is a bigger deal. If a throttle relearn is needed you don't need a scan tool and it is easy.

· Registered
2016 LS 1.5L Turbo metal black
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cause of P1101 on this car is nearly always 1) filter or airbox tightness, 2) dirty throttle body, 3) oil sludge blockage in the camshaft cover PCV orifice from relaxed maintenance intervals or oil quality. There is one time I believe someone reported the MAF replacement actually fixed it. Dirty throttle body seems the most common.

I understand not wanting to touch the throttle body but it is pretty easy on this vehicle. No coolant involved on this one. Just an electrical connector and 4 bolts. You usually should replace the gasket though if taking it out for cleaning. A tech can do this if you are unsure personally. I'd rule out the intake path and throttle body before moving to testing crank pressures for the PCV orifice blockage since that is a bigger deal. If a throttle relearn is needed you don't need a scan tool and it is easy.
Update:
So i went to the mechanic and he checked everything, told me the engine must be replaced because the entire intake system messed up everything.. it’s really a bummer especially since my car ran out of warranty lol.
I knew from the beginning that it had nothing to do with the sensor itself.. it’s just the engine that made all the issues occur unfortunately.. the mechanic cleaned also the throttle body and it didn’t quite help but thankfully he did a full diagnostic to really tell what the actual problem was.

· Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,577 Posts
What was this mechanic's diagnosis? I see engine is shot, but why? Valve failure, piston failure, seals and gaskets blown out, bent rods, etc? I can't recall any case of P1101 by itself indicating total engine failure. On the flip side, I can't recall another owner driving around for a year and half with an intake performance code so the sample pool is low.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.