Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2016 Malibu LT and like many others have the P1101 pop up every other month. I read the forums and did the usual change the MAF and cleaned throttle body several times. The code would clear but come back in a few weeks. Car runs fine with check engine on so i just ignore until I get to it.

What I did notice lately if I just pop off the air tube going to the throttle body it would clear. So question would it be related to the air tube not sealing on the throttle body correctly, I did notice some up and down movement when I grab the tube but doesn't come off unless I release the clip, could it possibly be the clip needs to be replaced cause it's not tight enough?. It's driving me nuts!!. Thx

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,221 Posts
The causes of P1101 have been dirty throttle body, clogged PCV orifice in the camshaft cover, and a couple times airbox not sealed properly. I believe a user just recently had a loose charge air cooler tube at the throttle body but might have had P1101 and P0299 with that one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also noticed the check engine went on while I was cruzing on Highway around 55 mph at least 2 times. Also car has 34k miles. Not sure if Highway speed is a factor.

How do I check the PVC to see if it's clogged?.thx

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
How do I check the PVC to see if it's clogged?
The PCV orifice that can clog is inside the camshaft cover. To inspect and clean it is a 4 hour job. Because of that, you need diagnosis prior to jumping to that. You have to inspect for oil leaks and if none, crankcase pressure has to be measured.

In your case, you mentioned cleaning the MAF and throttle body cleared the code for a few weeks then it returned. That makes me lean away from the clogged orifice and back to filter, airbox tightness, and the seal of the charge air tube to the throttle body.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since P1101 is a so called MAF code why would the throttle body and tube going to it have anything to do with the MAF?. Does the throttle body measure air flow, i didn't think so, the throttle sensor just measures the position per the gas pedal, correct?. I would guess the air box tightness and the air filter could effect the MAF reading only. As mentioned before, MAF was recently changed and air filter also, not sure why it keeps coming back. What about the hose before the MAF that connects to the airbox (if looking at MAF it goes to the right side) that goes to the engine on passenger side toward front of engine, I'm guessing that's the turbo??, not sure what it's called but should I pop that off and back on to see if that does anything.

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
P1101 is a MAF code. Unfortunately, I can't recall a single case of resolution from cleaning or replacing the MAF. One bulletin points to the PCV orifice, another to an o-ring where the cooler tube connects. I don't usually mention that one as it hasn't been a cause even one and the bulletin applies to many cars. In my memory, P1101 resolution has only come from airbox filter and tightness, throttle body, and the orifice. Good luck!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,430 Posts
No matter what the code is, if replacing a part doesn't cure the issue, then you have to suspect the new part (DOA, poor design, wrong part in the right box, etc.) and you have to make sure that the wires are able to get the signal back to the computer.

If you're willing to do some sleuthing then you just might find the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did disconnect the MAF while it was idleing and rpms went down and stumbled so I assumed it was working, If it wasn't working the idle would have stayed the same, so I guess I can rule out the MAF

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So check engine was off a few days, came back today. Again maf, air filer changed and still coming back, really driving me nuts. Cleaned throttle body again even though it was clean. I did unplug the connection to the left of throttle body and reconnected and then code went away??, not sure what that plug is , does anyone know?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is killing me, I had my mechanic look at it with a scanner and he said MAF tested fine, throttle body specs were within range and airbox was tight, clamps and hoses all tightened up and new air filter throw in. Cleared codes but this morning start it up and there it is, the code is back. I'm at a loss , please help

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So car was at dealer to check crankcase pressure and they said it was within specs and not clogged. On the way home , check engine goes on at 55 mph..ridiculous

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
So car was at dealer to check crankcase pressure and they said it was within specs and not clogged. On the way home , check engine goes on at 55 mph..ridiculous
I know you don't like the engine light on but the crank pressures being normal is a good thing. The possible fixes had that been the cause of the P1101 would be expensive. If all of the things mentioned above have now been checked and seem fine, I have nothing else. This one would be alone on an island and any guess I have would be a spit into the wind. Maybe someone else will come by with something to check.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another thing to add, check engine light keeps coming back after codes are cleared a few days later but did notice if I pop off the air charge tube connected to throttle body the code immediately disappears when I start up the car, what would cause it to clear itself??, so stumped with this situation .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone know the real fix for this issue, some say clean throttle body, air filter, maf, ect. I read a ton on forums and nobody seems to have a fix, some people have it for years and just deal with it. So frustrating that check engine light comes and goes..makes no sense, any other help would be nice. Car runs fine otherwise but can't stand that light lol..

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
I'm sorry the fixes that worked for others didnt fix it for you. That doesn't mean those aren't real fixes. They just aren't being performed properly or aren't working for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i understand and thankful for suggestions but changing the maf, air filter, and cleaning TB are not hard to perform properly, basic mechanical work. I'm just frustrated figuring this out, I have 3 other cars in the family, BMW, VW and Toyota and they are much easier to figure out, I check the code, replace part , problem solved. This P1101 never seems to have a real resolution. Car payments are over soon so most likely will trade it in for a new car ..I had Chevys in the past but this one has been the worst, not to mention I had the Shift to Park issue several times and the Reduced Power due to the gas pedal...too many problems but realized problems are on most cars not matter what brand you buy these days. i love the car but the love is gone, too many issues

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Clamps at intercooler were good and i believe it would give me a boost code like P0299 if that happened

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I cleared the codes last night and ran some 0-60 test runs and also a spirited highway drive , no codes, ran it hard so assume if it was intercooler pipe it would have shot a code last night. . I had live data going also to see if a code shot so i can freeze frame the data to review. Next time it happens i will review the data and get back to you all...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts