Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this morning while "playing" on the highway.....not sure if this is intentional or not, but they have curved outward the down shifting paddle, you can actually get your fingers underneath them on the backside so you don't neccessairly have to use your thumb on the up shift you can leave your fingers at the back of the wheel.

Just an observation wonder if anyone else has found this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You guys have paddles??? BOO! I want!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, Not sure what levels they come on. I have the 2LT with the V6....They can be dangerous though....if you use them "right" the gas gets guzzled!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah the delayed feel of the shifting is a bit odd to get used to.. You have to remember to shift before you want to lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm wondering if the delay at hi-rpm, WOT is partially Torque management which could be dialed out like 10-20% and give a much better response without really harming much. Basically I'm wondering if there's something like HPeditor or the like going to be available to just deal with these simple tune issues and not monkey with the Engine calibration which for me is about perfect.

Matt

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Tried them once and could do without them, "D" works fine for me :D:D:D
For me most of the time D is adequate, however I do use paddles on this long high speed ramp on my way from work. It's a pretty tricky one - connects highways with overpass, so it goes down, and the curve tightens towards the end. I can do it on D, but shifting to 4th basically adds control, so I can go though it faster ad more comfortably. But then, I come form years of driving manuals, so it's pretty natural for me.

BTW, if I lived in the mountains I would not touch a car without good gearing control. If any of you drove from Sausalito, CA to Muir Woods park or in Laurentian Mountains in Quebec you would not what I mean - proper gearing adds significant amount of control and confidence.

So the way I see it - you don't need paddles....until you do :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've driven the Bear Tooth Pass somewhere out west with an Automatic in a 1992 Grand Prix LE 3.1 MPFI. It was not fun. Had it been anything woth some form of control and some real steering, it would have been.

·
Registered
81 Posts
GM's paddle shift leaves ALOT to be desired...

coming from a DSG equipped car with paddles, this one is a joke...

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
GM's paddle shift leaves ALOT to be desired...

coming from a DSG equipped car with paddles, this one is a joke...
i am not sure you should even compare DSG with a regular auto...

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
you're right, there's no comparison... but if you came from DSG you can see my point... ;)
i haven't driven DSG, but yes, technically speaking I understand. however as far as slushbox manumatics go malibu is ok. way better than traditional autos.

·
Registered
421 Posts
you're right, there's no comparison... but if you came from DSG you can see my point... ;)
But that's because DSG isn't really an Auto anyway. ;)

Look at it this way- what's in the Malibu is FAR better than the old '3-2-1' shift lever gates on some four speeds, and ever further ahead of some recent cars with a simple 'L' position (uh, sorry 08+ owners with the 'L'- I was thinking of Fords and the new Accord.. :eek: ).

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
But that's because DSG isn't really an Auto anyway. ;)

Look at it this way- what's in the Malibu is FAR better than the old '3-2-1' shift lever gates on some four speeds, and ever further ahead of some recent cars with a simple 'L' position (uh, sorry 08+ owners with the 'L'- I was thinking of Fords and the new Accord.. :eek: ).
Exactly....I think if one wants a DSG one should get a DSG, it's a different transmission entirely, it's likely that no auto is gonna match that design.

Prev. gen. accords with 5 speed auto had D-D3-2-1...No access to 5th and the D3 is a D type position that downshifts when it feels like it. But truthfully that tranny is quite good and with this limited setup it does the job too. But, well, it's a bit better to have more direct control as in Bu.

The worst setup ever was on rental 08 Sebring I drove. That was a primitive 4 speed auto and I think it had one speed missing...c'mon. And of course, I had to drive this car in the mountains in SF bay area.
But, guess what, the shifter was gated, not the button type. Oh yeah, that makes it all better :D :D
Even the prev. generation Bu did better on the same roads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.