Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have an '08 LS Dark Grey Metallic, a beautiful color, and contrasts well with the chrome. I used to live (irrelevent information) in Cumberland County, and have moved to Overton County.

I know all counties have different formulas for their public water supply, but I was shocked to find that after hand-washing my Malibu for the first time in my new abode, there remains multiple rings (nothing like water spots) that would not wash out.

I stubbornly tried to use indirect applications of non-abrasive glass cleaners on inconspicuous parts of the vehicle trying to figure out a way to get rid of these spots, but I could not.

I eventually went home for the weekend and gave my car a nice cleaning with water and no cleaners. The spots disappeared nearly immediately.

So...my problem is this:

I cannot bare to keep my Malibu unwashed for longer than three days (today is day four and I am going insane), especially with my being out in the country and the front end having eliminated a large portion of the insect population and with the wind blowing dirt ontop of it through my garage (no door).

What can be done so I can hand-wash my vehicle without having the risk of these rings. I am quite paranoid that the rings may eventually stain or discolor the paint / chrome, and I would rather not have that (obviously). My father suggested chrome polish with a protectant in the formula as something to prevent the staining, but it would not be a sure solution. Also, water filters that connect to the hose do not work, as I tried a well-reviewed product and I might as well had done the wash without the filter.

Public hand-washes (those with high-pressure sprayers, brushes, and what not) I cannot trust, since the high pressure spray has me also fearing damage to the paint, and the brushes I will not trust to save my life.

So...short story (that I turned long) short: Anyone have any suggestions as to a filter or a cleaning agent?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Truitt - Have you thought about the Mr. Clean Auto Wash Kit? I think it is available at Wal-Mart and the likes, it comes with special cartridges that filter your water when you are washing it. I have a kit at home, as does my brother and he swears by the thing! Now you can still use it and do a hand was job on it while you are washing it, I just think the filtered water system it uses may help solve a lot of your problems and will provide a relatively low cost solution as of right now.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you haven/'t tried the MrClean setup, I'd recommend it. The cartridge filter it uses appears to have activated charcoal as part of it's active filtering, like fish tank pump filters or even Brita / Pur home drinking water filters. If that doesn't help, I'd be getting someone out to check out my water supply to see exactly what is in it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, I'll check into the MrClean car washing kit and get back to you guys.

Does anyone have suggestions for chrome polish? And does anyone know if the chrome on our Malibus are real metallic chrome, or are plastic? They sound plastic whenever I tap them, but I am still learning these things.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The chrome on our cars is plastic coated, not true "old-school" chrome. With regards to polish I use my car polish although there are many great products out there for cleaning and maintaining chrome, I am just not sure how well they will work on the chrome style we have.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After speaking with my dealer, they suggested an oddly named brand (Skizy-turds I swear it sounded like) for the chrome on our cars, which they say is good for glass, non-porous plastic pieces, and on actual chrome. I elected to just get the MrClean wash kit which I purchased the spot-free kit (I do not know if there is a difference?). I have yet to use it, but it looks so comically-inspired that I may enjoy waiting for my roommate to come home tonight and shoot her with it. At least she won't have water spots on her! :D

·
Registered
701 Posts
After speaking with my dealer, they suggested an oddly named brand (Skizy-turds I swear it sounded like) for the chrome on our cars, which they say is good for glass, non-porous plastic pieces, and on actual chrome. I elected to just get the MrClean wash kit which I purchased the spot-free kit (I do not know if there is a difference?). I have yet to use it, but it looks so comically-inspired that I may enjoy waiting for my roommate to come home tonight and shoot her with it. At least she won't have water spots on her! :D
Truitt - Actually the whole essence of the kit is that it is supposed to water spot free once you are done using the kit. So you did buy the right kit.

With regards to your roommate...Too much running though my mind to type....I will just leave it with :eek::p:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
HA SPOTLESS wet T-Shirt contest...? :p

Good buy though. I've heard great things about those kits.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still have yet to use it, I will post an update when I do (probably this weekend). I did not use it on her, but she enjoyed the fact that I told her she could use it on her vehicle ('93 Mustang). I only made her promise to buy a second filter for it :cool:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I have no waxed it. It looks beautiful as it is, so I am content :D

However, I do have another problem:

A walnut fell on my hood and scratched a three to four inch long white scratch across it in a near J shape. I have been recommended to buff it out, but I have never done it. Anyone care to walk a lame through the process? I know it's pitiful to admit, but I'd rather hear it from the community where people correct each other than from one friend.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Turitt.....You are correct as long as it has only "damaged" the top clear coat you can buff it out.

It is a fairly simple process, purchase a really good wax, some top manufacturer's also make a scratch remover - This is personal preference but I prefer either Meguiar's or Mother's products.

Follow the directions on the bottle very carefully and you should be good. I would recommend personally though if you do work towards removing the scratch you also wax the entire car at the same time.

Removing a scratch (if you don't have an electric waxer) takes a lot of elbow grease and patience just don't try to fix it all in one step, it will probably take many little steps to get it to go away.

I am sure others with far more expereince than I will chime in here and help you out also.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you very much. I do not have a problem going at it myself, I tend to have a lot of patience when it comes to my baby :D

The scratch looks and appears to be white, and I know the metal is a black-gray color so I know it has not reached metal and is not currently at the paint (I have the Dark Gray Metallic). It may have hit the primer for all I know...any suggestions?

It is only visible at certain angles (such as standing beside one of the head lights or head-on). Possibly the lack of being noticeable at all angles means it is just a clear coat cut?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.