Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, after I shift into Park and try to turn the ignition off, I get a prompt to shift into Park and am unable to turn the ignition off, which is to say, the electrical contact is not recognizing the car is in Park. If I restart the car, shift into Drive, then shift to park, it eventually recognizes it, but sometimes it takes two or three attempts to get it to respond and allow me to turn the car off. Obviously I need to bring it in for service, but my reason for posting is to see if others have encountered this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've read about this in the gen2 volt forums and the Malibu forums I believe. I think it occurred in 2016 and maybe 2017s. The dealer should be familiar with this and how to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,741 Posts
Will leaving the electronics on when this happens, drain the battery?
Eventually and yes it has happened to some owners. It is something that needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lately, after I shift into Park and try to turn the ignition off, I get a prompt to shift into Park and am unable to turn the ignition off, which is to say, the electrical contact is not recognizing the car is in Park. If I restart the car, shift into Drive, then shift to park, it eventually recognizes it, but sometimes it takes two or three attempts to get it to respond and allow me to turn the car off. Obviously I need to bring it in for service, but my reason for posting is to see if others have encountered this.
It’s happening to me now a days , is it a small problem or big ?
Please advise
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,088 Posts
It’s happening to me now a days , is it a small problem or big ?
Please advise
Thanks
Take your car to the chevy dealer, they should have a TSB to address the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts

This happened to me over a week's period. Finally, it would not shut off. I took it to a Chevrolet dealer and they fixed it in about 1 1/2 hours....for $600.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts