Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Chevy Malibu. Had the CEL come on took into dealer they told me it was the PCV valve that is almost completely blocked. I was told the extended warranty doesn't cover nor does the powertrain warranty (both are still active for me). I do have an expired Emission Limited warranty but have both an active Emission Select Component Ltd Wty and a Emission Select State Component Ltd Wty.

The dealership said that PCV Valve part # 12641875 is not covered under the Emission Select Component Ltd Wty or Emission Select State Component Ltd Wty. I called Chevy's 1800 number and spoke with someone they had it verified that they believe it should be covered but the dealer came back saying no that the part is labeled under Code E and that is not a covered part.

Has anyone had this issue? I am waiting to hear back from corporate, but now no one is currently available to speak with me when I call?

Should this be covered as I believe or no?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,240 Posts
I assume the code is P1101, is that correct?

The bulletin (here) says it can be repaired under the Base Emission Warranty coverage (Code E). Plus the orifice is internal to the camshaft cover which should be covered under the powertrain warranty so would be covered up to 5/60000. That's what I would argue anyway. How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The bulletin (here) says it can be repaired under the Base Emission Warranty coverage (Code E). Plus the orifice is internal to the camshaft cover which should be covered under the powertrain warranty so would be covered up to 5/60000. That's what I would argue anyway. How many miles on the car?
That is correct code is P1101. 59,000 miles so my bumper to bumper is expired. But everything I am reading is still telling me that Emissions is covered under the other active warranties I do have. It's a California Emissions vehicle and warranty book states "7 years or 70,000 miles... If an emission-related part listed in this booklet specially noted with coverage for 7 years of 70,000 miles is defective, GM will repair or replace it." And the PCV valve is listed.

Dealer is saying they can't do anything with warranty because Code E tells them it's not covered. I spoke with Chevy Corporate again and they said they are bumping my case up to a supervisor and won't have any word until Thurs. Both people I have spoken with say they don't understand why it isn't covered and they agree, but now they say I have to speak to someone else and they may offer to just cover a portion. I don't understand it, I have had car there since Sat.

·
Super Moderator
4,240 Posts
I'd keep with Chevy directly if they have previously told you it should be covered but it falls apart at the dealer. The repair is pretty extensive on the Malibu IF it is the caused by a clogged PCV orifice. They have to remove the camshaft cover. It is roughly a 4 hour job with a measly $100 in parts. You need to get someone at Chevy to agree it is covered then get them to talk to the dealer. This particular issue has hit maybe a half dozen owners on this forum since 2016-2020 Malibu's are affected. It also affects the 2016-2019 Encore, Cruze, Volt and 2018+ Equinox and Terrain.

I am not casting any doubt on the dealer's diagnosis, they had the car in front of them. But, let me ramble based on some experience reading this forum: the only way they can be 100% it is the PCV clogged is if they tested pressure and already got access. If they have already done that and now want to be paid, you just need to determine if you pay or GM pays so keep working on that course. If this is a "best guess", and GM comes back refusing to pay as a final decision, I'd want to know they double checked the engine air filter, air box tightness, and whether the throttle body is clean. All of those, as well as the PCV orifice, have been causes of P1101 on this forum. It would only take 30 min to check the box, filter, and throttle body.

I hope you get in contact with that next GM person soon, they agree to cover, and it just sorts itself out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd keep with Chevy directly if they have previously told you it should be covered but it falls apart at the dealer. The repair is pretty extensive on the Malibu IF it is the caused by a clogged PCV orifice. They have to remove the camshaft cover. It is roughly a 4 hour job with a measly $100 in parts. You need to get someone at Chevy to agree it is covered then get them to talk to the dealer. This particular issue has hit maybe a half dozen owners on this forum since 2016-2020 Malibu's are affected. It also affects the 2016-2019 Encore, Cruze, Volt and 2018-2020 Equinox and Terrain.

I am not casting any doubt on the dealer's diagnosis, they had the car in front of them. But, let me ramble based on some experience reading this forum: the only way they can be 100% it is the PCV clogged is if they already got access. If they have already done that and now want to be paid, you just need to determine if you pay or GM pays so keep working on that course. If this is a "best guess", and GM comes back refusing to pay as a final decision, I'd want to know they double checked the engine air filter, air box tightness, and whether the throttle body is clean. All of those, as well as the PCV orifice, have been causes of P1101 on this forum. It would only take 30 min to check the box, filter, and throttle body.

I hope you get in contact with that next GM person soon, they agree to cover, and it just sorts itself out.
Thank you so much for the quick responses to this. I asked them for a diagnostic report from the tech. this is what they sent.

·
Registered
1 Posts

The bulletin (here) says it can be repaired under the Base Emission Warranty coverage (Code E). How many miles on the car?
I have a 2018 Chevrolet Cruze with the same problem and the dealership says my emissions warranty just expired on 10/22/2021. What 20 days ago? I was in quarantine for suspected break thru case of covid and my husband just had a major heart attack. Have proof. HUH? Give me a break. Bought the car new in 2018. Car is about 49,800. P1101 code. PCV valve orifice. Waiting on Chevy customer service to speak with the dealership and get back to me. This part is buried under the valve cover. It SHOULD be covered under the powertrain warranty. If a part is essential for the engine to RUN, it IS considered POWERTRAIN!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Chevrolet Cruze with the same problem and the dealership says my emissions warranty just expired on 10/22/2021. What 20 days ago? I was in quarantine for suspected break thru case of covid and my husband just had a major heart attack. Have proof. HUH? Give me a break. Bought the car new in 2018. Car is about 49,800. P1101 code. PCV valve orifice. Waiting on Chevy customer service to speak with the dealership and get back to me. This part is buried under the valve cover. It SHOULD be covered under the powertrain warranty. If a part is essential for the engine to RUN, it IS considered POWERTRAIN!!
That’s what I thought too. I went back and forth with the dealer and they came down over half of the $1,300 they originally quoted. I have a 2016 CPO, I cited it would have been covered had I driven it more had the pandemic not happened, there is a service bulletin on the issue so it’s clearly a widespread issue, asked if it could be covered by the emissions warranty (which I was JUST out of as well) as that’s what the bulletin states the issue is covered by.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any updates? I have a 2016 gen2 cruze having same problem. P1101 I took off throttle body cleaned it reset light been driving few weeks hasn't come back on but excessive blow by coming out oil fill and dipstick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Chevy Malibu. Had the CEL come on took into dealer they told me it was the PCV valve that is almost completely blocked. I was told the extended warranty doesn't cover nor does the powertrain warranty (both are still active for me). I do have an expired Emission Limited warranty but have both an active Emission Select Component Ltd Wty and a Emission Select State Component Ltd Wty.

The dealership said that PCV Valve part # 12641875 is not covered under the Emission Select Component Ltd Wty or Emission Select State Component Ltd Wty. I called Chevy's 1800 number and spoke with someone they had it verified that they believe it should be covered but the dealer came back saying no that the part is labeled under Code E and that is not a covered part.

Has anyone had this issue? I am waiting to hear back from corporate, but now no one is currently available to speak with me when I call?

Should this be covered as I believe or no?
I'm having the same issue as you. I have 59,900 miles on my car. The dealer told me it was not covered under the power train warranty. I contacted GM and they felt it should be covered under warranty but stated they will get back to me with final answer after contacting the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
4,240 Posts
I'm having the same issue as you. I have 59,900 miles on my car. The dealer told me it was not covered under the power train warranty. I contacted GM and they felt it should be covered under warranty but stated they will get back to me with final answer after contacting the dealer.
Dealers don't want the GM warranty reimbursement rate for the repair they want to charge full price because it is a labor intensive repair. They are doing this because they are cash poor right now and essentially surviving on service costs because there are so few cars to sell and selling cars wasn't even their big money to begin with. About two weeks ago an acquaintance of mine had his Equinox jam up with P1101 and the dealer also refused to cover it under the powertrain warranty. He had to go to GM directly and jump through hoops for a week to eventually get an apology and warranty repair from my local dealer. The orifice that can clog with oil sludge is integral to the valve/camshaft cover and the valve cover is listed as covered in the limited warranty guide under powertrain coverage. As long as service has been done on time and powertrain warranty is active it should be covered. It should even be covered under the emissions coverage according to the bulletin but there is some gray area there. Powertrain is cut and dry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2020 Malibu. They fixed the Throttle Body, but my warranty company sai the PCV Office is not covered under warranty. I was confused seeming as though the part is in the engine. And also seeming as though this is a reoccurring issue, it should not be a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone, I am in the same situation, dealership refused to service my vehicle for the PCV valve issue, twice now. I had to make two separate trips because first they said I didn't have any warrenties, did my research and I not only am in good standing with (four) warrenties but also should have this issue covered under them. Both times they claim it's not covered despite calling the GM representative who said it would be covered. They want to charge me $2245 to service it. That seems really expensive and considering it should be covered I'm at my witts end here. One person says its covered and the same advisor keeps telling me it's not covered under any warrenties. Last time it was the valve that needed repair and this time it's the orifice, and now they are two separate components. I ask ok so the valves are covered? And she said yes if the valve was the issue it would be covered but it's not the issue. It's the orifice. But aren't they the same part? Aren't they both integral to the PCV system? And isn't that whole service covered under Powertrain and Emissions warranty? Should I keep calling GM representatives? She said their word doesn't matter since they aren't trained and practically just customer service.

·
Super Moderator
4,240 Posts
Hello and welcome, @Malibug00. It is true, the GM phone reps are not technicians. The phone support is basically there just to help people figure out where dealers are and help you with scheduling of a return visit if the service wasn't satisfactory. As you wrote, they are careful to to say they aren't techs and only share advice; the diagnosis and repair power rests with dealers.

There is a bulletin for P1101 with possible CEL or oil leak caused by a clogged PCV orifice: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10175757-9999.pdf The bulletin references the repair procedure is covered under the "base emissions warranty". I was initially confused about this. I have figured out the term "base" refers to the Federally required 2 years / 24,000 miles on most listed emissions items. Only certain items are covered up to 80,000 / 8 years. It is shown in the Limited Warranty Booklet on page 25 (2017). Only the items with a singe * or double ** get the additional coverage - items such as Fuel Control Module, TCM, ECM, Catalytic Converter, Battery Control Module... etc.

Did you buy this car used or are you the original owner? How many miles?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just spoke to another representative and this time they say the valves aren't covered and it falls under bumper to bumper warrenty.im basically being told a different story almost everytime I reach out now.

·
Super Moderator
4,240 Posts
Have you ever been told by the dealer that it is covered? The mixed opinions of the phone reps won't help much. They will just say someone misunderstood or the rep was wrong. The dealer is the final word unless you can get someone at customer care to give you the coverage approval in writing or coordinate with the dealer.

Forgive me if you already answered this but what year is this Malibu? I see you mention good standing on 4 warranties. What are they?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's the 2019 Malibu, I have Powertrain, emissions, and two additional emissions warrenties ltd I forget the names, though I don't think they apply to this situation. Just baffled they said I didn't have any.. I'm figuring I won't have this covered and gonna have to abandon ship on these warrenties, just going to have to take more cabs to work and get a local mechanic to fix it way under $2k :( thanks for the help though everyone.

·
Super Moderator
4,240 Posts
Sorry you are dealing with this. Hate seeing when a used purchase doesn't work out as hoped. This sort of thing is the reason I rarely recommend these as a used purchase. They just aren't able to take the beating of a lease or the sketchy maintenance of someone that dumps before warranty expiration. Long oil change intervals, poor quality oil, short drive cycles all equal varnish and eventual sludge gunking up everything in the upper engine. Knowing the PCV orifice has so much sludge it blocked - consider replacement of the vacuum pump while they have it apart. It's only $50-70 or so and your engine will be trashed if that is also gunked to the point of looming oil starvation.

Independent mechanic will be much cheaper and the process is not uncommon to a skilled mechanic. The labor estimate is 4.7 hours to accomplish the task. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts