Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure if this was covered or not but does the onstar features work with all aftermarket headunits.

I use the GPS function once in a while and was wondering if the information still shows up

·
Registered
700 Posts
I do not have one, however I know from other GM models with steering wheel controls in order to use a lot of these features it requires a special harness to be purchased in order to keep the connectivity.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nevermind. I answered my own question.

According to the Crutchfield website:

"Your vehicle is factory-equipped with an upgraded sound system. We strongly recommend that you purchase an adapter that maintains your factory door chimes (required for audible safety warnings), provides a switched 12-volt power source for your new radio, and allows you to continue using the OnStar feature. You should not replace your factory radio without this adapter.
Metra GMOS-LAN-03 $129.99"

Also...

"You'll lose your factory XM capability if you replace your factory radio."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im not sure if this was covered or not but does the onstar features work with all aftermarket headunits.

I use the GPS function once in a while and was wondering if the information still shows up
Onstar will work with aftermarket units it cost about $100 more for the Onstar module, not all stereo shops carry it have to check to see who does

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know that many GM vehicles route the DIC information through the factory head unit. Does anybody know if the DIC information is handled this way in the 08/09 Malibu? I want to replace my head-unit, but don't want to lose the DIC.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The DIC information is displayed in the main instrument cluster, and the controls for it are on the steering wheel. However, that doesn't guarantee that the headunit has nothing to do with it. In the past there have been many functions handled through factory headunits that didn't appear to until the headunit was pulled. I would expect that this isn't the case here. However, warning chimes (door open, lights on, seatbelt unfastened, etc.) and OnStar are probably still integrated with the headunit, regardless.

There are usually aftermarket modules available to handle these issues when you put in a replacement headunit though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you have the in-dash CD changer ... you have the upgraded system with an amp. If you have the single in-dash CD player, your system does not have an amp.

The GMOS-LAN-03 adapter is used without an amp, the GMOS-LAN-04 adapter is used with an amp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BTW, for those of you with the amp, a GM audio engineer told me that they use a real cheap/weak amp with 1.3 ohm OEM speakers to get more volume out of it. You can't replace the OEM speakers because 4 or even 2 ohm aftermarket speakers will over-drive the OEM amp and blow it up. You'd have to replace the amp and the speakers, and also possibly the HU unless you go with something like a JL Audio Cleansweep.

·
Registered
22 Posts
FYI, You can change the speakers in vehicles with the OEM amp, but you will lose power because of the difference in impedence from the OEM speakers 1.3ohm to aftermarket ones that are 4 ohms. In other words the amp won't have to work as hard to drive the aftermarket speakers and they will not be as loud as the factory ones. This in turn should make aftermarket speakers not sound very good with the OEM amplifier, but they would still work. I haven't checked the speakers on mine to verify this is a 1.3 ohm speaker. If you want better sound then you should replace both the amplifier and speakers possibly even the headunit. Or what I did on my Bu was to just add a small sub for the bass so now I am able to turn the bass down on the factory headunit making the factory speakers sound better.

The factory amplifier is located at the rear passenger corner in the trunk between the wheelwell and tail lights.

·
Registered
35 Posts
FYI, You can change the speakers in vehicles with the OEM amp, but you will lose power because of the difference in impedence from the OEM speakers 1.3ohm to aftermarket ones that are 4 ohms. In other words the amp won't have to work as hard to drive the aftermarket speakers and they will not be as loud as the factory ones. This in turn should make aftermarket speakers not sound very good with the OEM amplifier, but they would still work. I haven't checked the speakers on mine to verify this is a 1.3 ohm speaker. If you want better sound then you should replace both the amplifier and speakers possibly even the headunit. Or what I did on my Bu was to just add a small sub for the bass so now I am able to turn the bass down on the factory headunit making the factory speakers sound better.

The factory amplifier is located at the rear passenger corner in the trunk between the wheelwell and tail lights.
great info! i am running a 4 channel amp to power my front and rears, and getting a mono amp to run the subs. With of course and aftermarket in-dash.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The DIC information is displayed in the main instrument cluster, and the controls for it are on the steering wheel. However, that doesn't guarantee that the headunit has nothing to do with it. In the past there have been many functions handled through factory headunits that didn't appear to until the headunit was pulled. I would expect that this isn't the case here. However, warning chimes (door open, lights on, seatbelt unfastened, etc.) and OnStar are probably still integrated with the headunit, regardless.

There are usually aftermarket modules available to handle these issues when you put in a replacement headunit though.
My 08 displays the info through the headunit.... does that mean I loose the capability to view said info if I replace the factory HU with an aftermarket one??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.