Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Malibu LTZ 2LZ 2.0T, 1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
57 Posts
Is the trifecta tune for the 2.5L the only performance mod that can be done or is there others?
Are there other tuners? Yes. BNR has a tune as well for the 2.5, though I think Trifecta’s is a little more HP on that engine.
Are there other performance mods? Just the usuals, CAI, and exhaust.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,931 Posts
Single exhaust is more efficient at removing gases than a true dual, but you can shop around for a dual-outlet rear valance and then have a muffler shop add the other tip.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think Magnaflow makes some exhaust setups for these models. But really any exhaust shop could do whatever you wanted. Also I mentioned the CAI which is Cold Air Intake, but though you might see some power gains in cooler weather, in summer time they might reduce your power because of engine heat. Also they let in a lot of particulates into your engine.

·
Administrator
19,931 Posts
What @Treefork says about those CAI kits is accurate.
  1. They don't completely seal out the engine air from getting to the air filter, but the OE CAI does.
  2. They usually use oiled cotton air filters that allow much larger particles to enter the engine, effectively grinding itself to death from the inside out.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Factory intake is cold air already and flows more than engine needs. Save your money.
Exhaust system piping is pretty large diameter stock already.
Without out porting the head for more air flow the other stuff is not worth the money for the small gains. Sellers of these parts always claim more than what reality is. Intake noise and exhaust noise sound more powerful but only repeated timed track runs or dyno time will tell the tale and it's usually disappointing for the money spent.
Trifecta improved my mid range power and trans. programming made it's shifting more sporty, pleasing to drive but top end ''pull'' is the same.
It's only a little 2.5 4 banger. My 3 cyl. 1.2 snowmobile that weights 550 lbs. has 135 HP, that's got a 0-60 under 4 seconds.

Reactions: Bad72cheyenne

·
Registered
57 Posts
Factory intake is cold air already and flows more than engine needs. Save your money.
Exhaust system piping is pretty large diameter stock already.
Without out porting the head for more air flow the other stuff is not worth the money for the small gains. Sellers of these parts always claim more than what reality is. Intake noise and exhaust noise sound more powerful but only repeated timed track runs or dyno time will tell the tale and it's usually disappointing for the money spent.
Trifecta improved my mid range power and trans. programming made it's shifting more sporty, pleasing to drive but top end ''pull'' is the same.
It's only a little 2.5 4 banger. My 3 cyl. 1.2 snowmobile that weights 550 lbs. has 135 HP, that's got a 0-60 under 4 seconds.
I don’t disagree with any of that. I just wanted to give him some options. Truth is though these aren’t really performance cars, and the best bang for your bucks will be the tune. The rest of your mods are going to be aesthetic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is the trifecta tune for the 2.5L the only performance mod that can be done or is there others?
I know you probably won't like this but leave these newer engines alone . They are already pushed to the max. Consider the size of the car to engine size. They are designed for fuel mileage not competition. I have the 2017 malibu premier and it is a rocket. The best thing you can do for your engine since I am assuming it is GDI is do the induction service, burn high octane gas WITHOUT ETHANOL and leave it alone unless you want to shell dollars out for repairs and if so go get a hellcat because you can abuse the hell out of them and then they are only good for 40,000 miles.

·
Banned
2015 Malibu LTZ 2.5L I4 Eco-tech 132k mi (new timing chain @ 128k mi)
3 Posts
I've been thinking, and I believe I've come up with a solution to the performance problem. What you do is yank the 4cyl out, and bolt up an LS4 from an Impala. Sub-frame and all. Now you're going to have to flare the front wheel openings to accommodate the slightly wider front end. But I think, with a little fab work and determination, it could be done.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,536 Posts
I've been thinking, and I believe I've come up with a solution to the performance problem. What you do is yank the 4cyl out, and bolt up an LS4 from an Impala. Sub-frame and all. Now you're going to have to flare the front wheel openings to accommodate the slightly wider front end. But I think, with a little fab work and determination, it could be done.
Yeah, LS4 or maybe LS2. With a couple washers, loctite and some duct tape it'll hook right up to the 6T40.

Cue the "I heard of a guy that knew a guy that maybe did something" stories...

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Roadkill or faster with Finnigan, can't remember which show, put a V8 Impala front subframe into the rear of one, double V8 Impala.
It only happens on TV shows with unlimited resources.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wouldn’t be much different than just buying an LTG 2.0T, makes more HP and Torque with just a tune than the Impala 5.3 stock. Unless you’re going to rear wheel drive swap, it just gets silly after more Hp. I can’t take off fast without squealing and a lot of wheel spin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Roadkill or faster with Finnigan, can't remember which show, put a V8 Impala front subframe into the rear of one, double V8 Impala.
There’s a guy local to me that has an Impala with a 6.0 swap, but he also swapped the drivetrain so it’s RWD now. Only way it would be any good with all the power. I might have a video somewhere.

·
Administrator
19,931 Posts
I have a 2011 3.6L V6 with 6-speed auto, no turbo, no tune, and nearly new Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires. Supposedly they're performance oriented.

On paper I have 252 BHP.

If I want to spin my tires, I just push it past the ¼-throttle mark from a standing stop and they'll light up. Even if I don't spin 'em, if I'm in 1st gear and run it up to 40 MPH or higher, when it grabs 2nd gear, they'll chirp.

If you want power to the pavement, it needs to be in the rear or on all 4.

Cue the Subaru and Audi drivers...

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,499 Posts
Lmao. Do yourself a favor and stop "thinking" so much. No part of this comment is based in reality.

I don't know where these engine swap dreamers keep coming from lately, but all of them have the same flawed logic: "with a little fab work and determination, it could be done." Good lord. This is like saying "You can't afford a tuxedo? With a little fabric and determination you can sew your own out of pajamas."

Get a different car if you want a hot rod. The 2.5L Malibu is a perfectly nice family car and that's all. Massive modifications for performance sake are wildly impractical. I don't know how else to explain it to these people.

The burning desire to V8 swap a front wheel drive Malibu is exactly as strong as the ignorance to the task. Like the desire to jump into a lake full of hungry piranhas on a hot day depends entirely on whether you know about the carnivorous fish.

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Hot Rod Garage with Lucky Costa and Tony Angelo...the Twinpala...nice episode especially when they ran the front engine forward and the rear engine backward at the same time for the ultimate car pull...you'd have to have unlimited resources for sure...

Bill

·
Administrator
19,931 Posts
Sure there is. You just didn't catch on. We're havin' fun with your post.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts