Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/philipma1957/malibu front door speaker install/

that link is to 35 photos of the front door install, It shows the droken window and it shows a mdf baffle that is thick enough when rubber pond liner is added. if you buy after market make sure the windows clear, or pop a window like I did. I am a little busy this week. I will fill in explainations sooner or later. The sound really nice for a stock head unit. I have a lot of luck with adding decent aftermarket speakers to stock oem headunits. biggets key is high sensitivity 90 db and up and lower power handling 30 to 50 watts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
what the hell is all that pink and purple stuff.

dude that install looks like crap

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what the hell is all that pink and purple stuff.

dude that install looks like crap
That is liquid rubber and once the door is closed/ It looks like nothing was ever done. If you look at your car with the door off it will never look pretty. I do agree that with the door removed its ugly. i will post a shot of the closed door for you so that you can see that it looks oem and untouched.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Man, thanks for all the detail! :)

I've only installed aftermarket speakers once.. that was in my 04 Colorado.. crutchfield provided great instructions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, thanks for all the detail! :)

I've only installed aftermarket speakers once.. that was in my 04 Colorado.. crutchfield provided great instructions.
It came out nice except for the mistake. I posted all the shots because I don't want a fellow DIYer making the same mistake. I get the window replaced today. I am going to take the trunk shots of the fuse box and a low cost sound proofing I Did in the trunk. phil

·
Registered
12 Posts
Three questions:

1) Where did you get the plastic pry bar set?
2) Is the sound too bright with both upgraded tweeters in the A pillar and two way door speakers with a tweeter?
3) Looks like there is some sort of factory sound deadening material in the doors. Did you spread the Redgard under this or just put it around the new speakers?

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it is a little too bright but the oem radio has a treble level just drop treble a little and it is fine. the white is factory leave it alone. but when you have the opening for the speaker I painted inside the door with red gaud. cascade makes a spray but it is toxic and hard to clean.
link for tools

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=95214

6 on sale buy 2 sets for 12

link for cascade

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=268-250

14 on sale

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=095-900

this comes in handy 20 dollars phil

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I've added the JL Audio CleanSweep® CL441dsp so I can add an aftermarket 2000 Watt amp pushing 2 - 12" Kenwood Woofers (enclosed box) right now and ... let me tell you, the BASS is off the chain!

I'll be switching the 2000 Watt Amp to push my 4 interior speakers and I have another 2 Channel 600 Watt Amp made for BASS to power my 12" enclosed box thereafter.

FYI - I didn't take my time last weekend and didn't even calibrated the sound because I didn't unplug my factory speakers off of the OEM Radio yet. BUT WOW!! IT'S ROCKING

So, I just went into Best Buy and bought 2 Kenwood 6 1/2" (280 Watts) Model: KFC -P709PS for the front and 2 6x9 (500 Watts) Model: KFC -6993PS for the rear. I'll be installing the speakers this weekend and I can't wait to hear the sound!

If you want to keep your factory radio and not lose all your features like XM; On Star and Blue Tooth Pairing ... buy this product JL Audio CleanSweep® CL441dsp! Trust me ... you will not be disappointed at all!

:)

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Check it ... I went to a local car audio store to get an idea how much he would charge me to put a new radio with all the works and run wires through my car for the amps. I also wanted to change my factory speakers to aftermarket ones.

He said: " I can do it all for you for about 3000 - 3500 dollars and ... (get this) I will by pass your On Star features and Bluertooth connections."

So, I scratched my head a few times and said to myself; if I was paying this much you'd think i get the whole thing done including OnStar and Bluetooth connections right?

So anyways, I didn't go for it and decided to do the work myself ... and it only cost me less than $600 dollars because I had everything except the Power Cable from the battery and the four new speakers.

BTW: If you rip off the factory front speakers completely off the bracket ... you can use the bracket again for the new aftermarket speakers. It will be free and clear form any of your windows hitting the back part of the new speakers. --- Just take note of how far it extends outward before you rip it apart and estimate your new speaker on it. I screwed mine on it and I have no problems opening and closing my window completely. If uyou don't ... better start calling a car window repair business to have it replaced! LOL

Anyways ...

So I just finished my 2009 Malibu sound upgrade this past Sunday. Unfortunately, I was so in tuned with everything I was doing that i didn't get a chance to take pictures for you all.

I installed:

Kenwood - 6" x 9" 5-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones (Pair)
Model: KFC-6993PS - for the rears.

Kenwood - Kenwood 6-1/2" Component Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones (Pair)
Model: KFC-P709PS for the fronts

Have 2 - 12" Kenwood Woofers in trunk